Stars: Infinite Space Exploration Game

For the last couple days I have been working off of a game idea I had. Essentially, create an RPG where you can go to space and explore planets (all procedurally generated) and go back home. On the home planet, you can get yourself a house and live happily. You can also mine resources on planets and sell them back on the home planet.

The base concept of this was inspired by the game No Man’s Sky.

Most of the game is conceptual still and is all written down on many pieces of paper on my desk. However, I have a small demo working now. See the video below:

[size=4]How it Works:[/size]

I am using the Game Universe feature for this. The Home planet is the “Hub” place. Everyone joins the game there.

Hub - Home Planet:
From the Hub home planet, you can do all sorts of things, but then you launch into space. The game then teleports you to the Space level. This is essentially the intermediate hub.

Space:
In Space, all the planets are generated procedurally. This means that there are (kind-of) infinite number of planets AND they are persistent.

To enter a planet, all you do is fly into it. When you do, a prompt will pop up showing you who discovered the planet and when it was discovered.

If you are the first to discover it, the game uses CreatePlaceAsync to generate the new planet map. It then constructs a Properties table into a DataStore with the new place’s data, that way the new place knows what it should generate when it is loaded up.

This is cool because any single planet can have tons of people at it at one time. A planet only needs to have a map created for it once ever.

Planet:
When you enter a planet, the server (if it just started) will generate the map procedurally based on the seed it was given externally from the Space level. This has not been coded in yet, but this will be a HUGE part of the game that I will need to spend a lot of time tweaking and perfecting.

You will be able to mine resources too (maybe even build mining stuff?). Your ship can only carry ‘x’ resources though, depending on your ship and ship upgrades.

Let me know what you guys think!

Test the game out here

1 Like

Very cool, I can enjoy a good space game. I can’t think of many great space exploration type games in roblox. There was an old Eve online game that was really cool at the the time, a few rpgs, a tycoon, but this looks like it could be something greater than that. I look forward to seeing where this goes. ^^

Will we be able to dogfight? :open_mouth:

If it is going to be a RP kind of game, wouldn’t it be a good thing to add a way to colonize a planet.
Or have a new discovered planet be yours only to enter etc etc.
Looks promising already from the video.

Hopefully you will add resource mining, Resource Trafficking, Robbing other players resources, attacking bases, building bases, etc. Else where, Loving the video of gameplay, and the idea.

I made something like this a long while back, its a bit sloppy though

Thanks for the feedback people! I’ll continue working on this probably today and throughout this week.

I really want to start working on good algorithms for generating the planets themselves. I want them to look good but have as many possible combinations as possible, each combination with varying details all-throughout. It’s a fun challenge.

Any more feedback is greatly appreciated. I’m having lots of fun with this project.

This was the original goal of interstellar but the project died out sadly.

Wow that looks great. :open_mouth:

I don’t mean to derail or anything but this gave me an idea on how some asthetics could look.

[quote] Wow that looks great. :open_mouth:

I don’t mean to derail or anything but this gave me an idea on how some asthetics could look.

[/quote]

SuperSpray maybe? :wink:

[quote] Wow that looks great. :open_mouth:

-Image- [/quote]

SuperSpray maybe? ;)[/quote]

Yeah, the planet generation right now is super simple. It will be improved greatly.