Start of a simulator map

Hey! :innocent:

(edit is adding screenshots hopefully to get more feedback)

I have recently returned from a long break from building and decided to make this map, its for my friend but I’m not sure on it, would appreciate it if you could give some feedback and pointers

Screenshots

You could also check out the map in roblox and give your opinions! :slight_smile:

Much appreciated, suitied.

14 Likes

I’d say it needs more detail, but the title of the thread mentions it’s a “start” so that’s pretty obvious.

I tested startup time on two computers:

• my desktop (at most a couple of months old) loaded the game in less than a second.
  • my laptop (six years old, probably more accurately represents most roblox users’ devices) took 12 seconds

If it matters at all, my desktop is on graphics level 8 and my laptop is on graphics level 1

2 Likes

I must say your work looks amazing. I’m a sucker for the low poly aesthetic. It took roughly a second or two to load the meshes for the map. An intro / loading screen that would wait for the meshes to load would work nicely here for those on slower devices.

On another note, the texture on the ground goes through the path when the camera is far away. My suggestion is to raise the height of the paths a bit.
RobloxPlayerBeta_xOk0RVXjbq

3 Likes

It’s definitely looks interesting! I would highly recommend making some other types of trees instead of it looking resizing them differently and placing them all around the map there seems to be more empty spots throughout the map I would consider filling them out with other types of build, shops, vacants, ect.

Your map looks decent on the far hand! I would suggest adding some more detail because it looks rather empty in my opinion. Try adding some rocks around with different size and color, some grass and shrubs in some corners (rocky paths, mushrooms, fountain, windmills, flowers, crates). There’s a lot you could do to this map try making it interesting and not similar to existing simulators.

You could always search - join different types of simulator maps to get inspiration from so you could place items down in certain areas, whatever suits your liking. The game ran smoothly and fine you’ll just need to place more and see how the loading process will be.

It’s a good start just needs more placements.

1 Like

Thank you, I appreciate that, and I will try raising the paths to remove the texture clipping through.

I will give this a try and add a few more designs for trees, and ill work on filling in gaps with some assets, someone suggested mushrooms yesterday and you have done the same so ill start with those, and a couple of smaller buildings to finish it off.

Thanks for this, I have to make sure it loads quickly on all devices :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you to all three of you. Hopefully as I improve on these aspects it will start to look more like a professional map :innocent:

3 Likes

I really like it!

The only thing that bothers me is the path clipping and this strange chest effect:

1 Like

I actually thought that was really cool. I stared at it for quite some time. How on earth did you make that, @suitied?

That looks awesome in my opinion.
Great job! :+1:

It was just messing around using the forcefield material, you should give it a shot :grin:

Its nice, it takes a bit long to get places tho, could do with a slightly smaller map, or faster walk speed, or maybe a clever system where you walk faster if you are on a path?

This is just the map, the game will have a system that allows players to buy more double jumps and walkspeed, I am going to add islands in the sky to allow for double jumps to work well, I am not the programmer, just the builder. The map is this size so players with faster walkspeed don’t fling across the map too quickly, and it doesn’t take too long for slower players to get to the other side, hope this helps :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Well then its totally the right size then. :stuck_out_tongue: good stuff

Oh wow! I really love your work. Do you do commissions, and if so, for how much?