Started Fishing in My Survival Game

I started creating fishing for my survival game I’ve been working on. The fishing line is a bit glitchy due to server lag, which I’ll have to figure out how to fix it. All it does is rotates a part to face the bobber, then scales/offsets the mesh to make it look like it’s connected. If anyone knows a better and more efficient way to do this, please share.

But anyways, this is pretty basic, but figured someone would think this is cool.

Pretty neat :]

Well I noticed the line comes off. If that is updated in localscript (which it should be) then I recommend using RunService.RenderStepped to update the size and position of the line. It will look smoother and you won’t see it come off the rod. :DDD

If I understand you right, the rope is rendered serverside.
Now, if we would ignore FilteringEnabled, rendering it locally would be better.

I’ll have to try that. Thanks for the advice.

Raycasting and it’s amazing disjointedness.

[quote] If I understand you right, the rope is rendered serverside.
Now, if we would ignore FilteringEnabled, rendering it locally would be better. [/quote]

I render a gun’s raycasting bullets locally and it still lags. I may record and upload it later.

Really cool! I would really like to check it out - I send you a friend request. Note: my roblox user is jobro13, not jobro.

I have been working on my own survival game for around two and a half year, I guess. I am a huge fan of the game concept Davidii created (and nope, I don’t like minecraft) and decided to expand this. The concept has a lot of “emotion” in it - more than any other game I played. For instance, if you play call of duty you will only find the “aggression” emotion, and sometimes the “power” emotion of being the winner all the time. However, this game has more. It has “fear” - to get killed. It has “awareness” because danger can lure anywhere. It can be “happiness” to see what you and your society created. It can be “aggression” too, because you are angry because someone joined. You can even be sad. Etc, etc.

I have worked on my first version for 1.5 years and after that I decided to start from scratch. This time, I organized my code much better via a framework, which works really well. My game doesn’t have much content at this point, but it has some pretty advanced things in it which this game also has - custom inventory, building “snapping” (so they are always placed right!). You should test it out sometime.

These games get the best by their concepts though. I was wondering if you could accept my friend request so I could try out your game and that we could sit down once and talk some cool ideas through - I have done this with more people and it really gives you some nice inspiration! You can find me on freenode’s IRC (Nick: Jobro) on the channel #Stranded or, if you prefer, #SurvivalGames. I hope to see you there sometime!