StarterCharacter Tools

I got a problem with a tool that references stuff in the StarterCharacter , So I have to leave it in the StarterCharacter , causing the tool not to work for some reason why is this?

local Hinge = script.parent.parent.parent.Weapon.Hinge

Hinge is inside of the StarterCharacter, As far as I know in order to reference stuff from a tool it would have to stay in the StarterCharacter. When the tool is in the StarterCharacter id Doesn’t work at all, No errors. But if i place the tool that refers to stuff in the starter character using the line above,

Weapon is not a valid member of Player "Players.(Player)"

So what do I do?

Picture of layout:

As far as I know in order to reference stuff from a tool it would have to stay in the StarterCharacter

This is not true, and also a very poor practice in general. From this post:

StarterCharacter [Class Model]
All objects placed inside this model will be copied to the Character model of each Player as they join the game or respawn after death. These objects will be loaded in place of the default character that is sent from the website.

A much better idea would be to use the Player.CharacterAdded event and reference the Hinge from there (remember, you can reference a player’s character from the workspace once this event fires).

You should usually keep Tools in either ReplicatedStorage or ServerStorage and clone them to the player’s backpack when they load in to the game. If you don’t need that much control, just put the tool inside StarterPack.

1 Like