Starting a second instance of studio when a new update is available corrupts Roblox Studio on macOS

Starting a second instance of studio when a new update is available corrupts Roblox Studio on macOS.

OS version: macOS Catalina 10.15.3
Roblox Studio Version: Latest + second Latest

Steps to reproduce:

• Open a place in Roblox Studio
  • Wait for a new update of Studio to become available (this is kind of hard to predict though)
  • Go to File → Open from Roblox… to trigger a second Roblox Studio instance

In order to reproduce this I would need to know when a update arrives, so that is pretty much impossible for me (but should be easier for Roblox Staff since they are the ones rolling out updates).

Expected results: Automatic updates of Roblox Studio should not run or the fact that two instances of Studio is running should be handled gracefully by the updater

Actual results: Both Roblox Studio instances starts to run automatic updates with two negative effects.

1. It unexpectedly kills the first Roblox Studio instance causing an interruption in your work
  2. It caused my Roblox Studio installation to become corrupt and refuse to start again

As far as I know I have no Beta Features activated.

Workaround: Reinstall Roblox Studio if this happens.

Perhaps a feature to disable automatic updates temporarily should be issued to be handy in case of long game developing sessions, to avoid losing valuable progress. Along with the feature, a button for Check for Updates should be implemented as well.

1 Like