Static Image Labels and effects with lighting (Fixed)

Hello there!

I’m currently working on static textures and other repeating patterns for a game.
I’ve been using Surface Gui’s with Image Labels for more contrast looking images (specifically setting the resample mode to pixelated). although I keep finding that the lighting heavily affects the image labels in some odd ways.

So I took some screenshots showing the Image Labels in different lighting conditions (I’m using max graphics with default future lighting).
As I move the camera farther away the resolution gets smaller and more compressed which is fine, however it also makes the Image Labels appear darker in a circular pattern when farther away.

I’ve tried almost everything to prevent this but nothing seems to really remove the darkening effect, and the only thing that helped was a bright light from above which still didn’t do much.

Anyways I’m curious if anyone else has seen this with Image Labels, or has replicated something similar to what I’m experiencing. If you have any suggestions on changing the textures design, or information that could help that would be awesome.

StaticTextureTesting.rbxl (50.1 KB)
(The place with the textures).

1 Like

Have you tried changing the LightInfluence and brightness of the ScreenGui?

Yes I have, although I couldn’t find any balance between the two values that could fix the lighting effect/issue.

I believe this is caused by texture filtering, which is designed to reduce noise while looking at textures from an angle. There isn’t much you can do as it’s built into roblox and we don’t have control of specific graphics settings like that(yet)

1 Like

Yeah I looked up some info on texture filtering and actually found a solution to the issue I was having so thank you for bringing that up!

I’ll post the solution later so other people can look at it.

I basically just changed the way the Image Label reacts with lighting by placing a semi transparent frame over it, and putting a shadow over the whole Image Label so it’s not affected by the lighting that much.

I’m posting this as the solution to the static Image Label/texture issue I was having before.

I’ve included a link to a model that shows the texture examples for improving lighting, and for removing the darkening caused by texture filtering. The model also has some more info on how the Image Label/textures are made.

Model Link:

Here are some pictures of the new fixed static textures under lighting:

StaticTextureFixed_1

StaticTextureFixed_2

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.