SteadyOn's Instance Scanner

tl:dr look at the pictures

Hey! So, for the last couple hours I’ve been working on this plugin that should solve a lot of issues I myself have, and (i think) a lot of the issues other people have!

Introducing… Instance Scanner!! (fanfare plays)

It can do some pretty cool stuff, and it should solve a lot of problems, which only a lunatic would list here!

list of problems
  • Someone gives you a map, you want to make sure there are no sneaky scripts hidden in there :eyes:

• You make a really cool looking david baszucki mannequin, but you suddenly realise that the transparency of just the unions isn’t quite right, instead of going through and selecting each union, you can press the select button on this plugin and it does it for you!

• As said by @qqtt991

• You decide ModuleScripts are stupid, and you’re only going to use loadstrings from now on, but you dont want to go through and delete the modulescripts one by one.

• You put a model in your game and it starts playing despacito at full volume, but you of course DONT want to look through the whole model just to find despacito, so you delete it - like should’ve happened to the actual song about a year ago.

• You just want to see all the instances in a model or folder (or anything else with children) in a pretty little list.

And there’s a whole load more use cases I couldn’t be bothered to try and think of!

but steady, what can it do???

I’m glad you asked! This screenshot should clear up some of your questions:

As you guys can see, it lists all the instances in the model!

But that’s not all! What do those buttons on the side do? I’ll try pressing the blue cube one next to ‘MeshPart’

With this tool, I could change all the meshes to whatever I want! :

For example

Or this!

Lastly, let’s say I get tired of my porsche having a body, I can just press the bin button next to the ‘MeshPart’ line, and watch this!

Much better!

You might be surprised to know, that this ALSO works with models that ARENT porsches! Which really widens the possibilities.

Works with ChangeHistoryService - i.e you can undo/ redo changes this plugin makes (no lost work)

Changes

New styling;

27/08/2018 Clicking instance names will give you a window with all the instances of that instance in the selected model, with the choice of selecting it or deleting it. Also, provided the existing window is big enough to fit the new information, the plugin will not create new windows for each newly scanned instance, instead it will use the same window again - soon I may add support for changing selection and the window updating with it.

15/12/18 - Preview button, view scripts, decals, textures, UI elements and parts in a new window

01/01/2019
SteadyOn's Instance Scanner - #19 by SteadyOn

For those of you preaching console

Get it here:

48 Likes

Throwback to that builderman humanoid we added to Lightseeker lol… it had the same issue :smiley:

2 Likes

Now works with ChangeHistoryService! (i.e. you can undo/redo changes)

4 Likes

Yeah this would fix that! :smile:

Not a bad plugin.

I use some similar to count the instances in my game.

Going to tryout yours :smiley:

1 Like

Great humor, great plugin, still needs a better looking UI, but otherwise it’s great.

3 Likes

Change of mind got virus please delete this plugin

1 Like

Making the text size uniform and fixing a few styling issues would really help quite a bit. Looks neat otherwise.

2 Likes

It’s got some new styling now:

8 Likes

Great plugin! When I needed to do something like this (the use cases) I’d just run a script in the command bar. Thanks a bunch!

1 Like

That’s what I used to do too but it takes a more effort! Hopefully this will make it much faster :smiley:

1 Like

Great! Thank you

3 Likes

I don’t understand the use of this much to be honest. But I just want to say that’s a BA Porsche. :ok_hand:t2::grin:

Clicking instance names now gives you a window with all the instances of that instance in the selected instance, with the choice of selecting it or deleting it. Also, provided the existing window is big enough to fit the new information, the plugin will not create new windows for each newly scanned instance, instead it will use the same window again - soon I may add support for changing selection and the window updating with it.

2 Likes

:ok_hand:

1 Like

Sorry for the incredibly long delay, but Instance scanner now supports dark mode! :confetti_ball:

4 Likes

If I was to add a new feature using ViewportFrames which allowed you to press a button and see a 3D version of the instance in a new window would anyone use it?

4 Likes

Introducing previews, view a specific instance or collection of instances by pressing the eye icon. Currently parts are not perfectly lined up, however I’ll try to work on that in future.

3 Likes

I recently added a ‘Similar Instances’ feature, which allows you to search the game for instances which are very similar (all properties the same apart from CFrame, position and a couple of other variable things). I added this because someone @Aedificate made me a christmas lobby for my game and forgot to group some of the decorations together, so they’re just stray parts in the workspace.

Demo:

(It’s the little cloud with a magnifying glass icon)
https://i.gyazo.com/83e2fc4e4781ab26ae2076c89c837a7b.gif

4 Likes

Wow just expose me like that :triumph::triumph:

Lol I forgot to group them, I need to redo this lobby and properly organize it, its so old :grimacing:

1 Like