SteamVR forcefully opening when playing a game (Regression to how Roblox integrates with SteamVR)

back to having this vr problem :slight_smile:

7 Likes

having this issue as well, steamvr also opens up whenever I get teleported to a different place (not re-opening the roblox client)

6 Likes

I was having this issue too, I had no idea roblox had anything to do with it.
not sure if it got patched yet but until then I fixed it by going to the SteamVR folder in steamapps and changing the name to just SteamVRa. this made steam think its uninstalled and stopped it from opening randomly. I just change it back to its real name when I want to use it.

6 Likes

Yeah I seem to be having this issue too. Although I can close SteamVR without it closing Roblox.

But it is getting quite annoying especially with games that teleport you from place to place.

5 Likes

I am also experiencing this issue, especially when teleporting within a place. Steam isn’t running (until it automatically opens on its own), no VR hardware plugged in.

5 Likes

This issue has existed for a long time. It’s not attributed to any extensions. Launching the game with SteamVR hooked up to ROBLOX automatically launches it and makes it a dependency.

2 Likes

…huh? this is the first time i’ve heard of this issue, though, and i’ve been on roblox + had vr for a LONG WHILE now. not sure what you mean by “existed for a long time”. must be an oopsies on roblox’s side then

3 Likes

This issue hasn’t been a thing until around the time this issue was reported here, and I’ve had SteamVR hooked to ROBLOX for months now. If this was an issue that existed for a while, it’s telling how ROBLOX hasn’t bothered implementing any fix until the issue became mainstream.

And to comment on superhomer64’s idea: Unless RoPro or any browser-based ROBLOX extension touches the actual game client, which is a super-high security issue, they shouldn’t be an issue at all. I have BTRoblox installed, for example, before this issue came to light and it never affected my game client, only the website.

I’ll also add for anyone suffering that there’s a temporary fix: removing/renaming/moving the openvr folder in your appdata/local/ folder in any way can stop ROBLOX from opening in VR mode, but you’ll still have SteamVR opening any time the client opens or teleports to different experiences. Better than nothing until this company can be bothered to fix this.

7 Likes

This is still happening. My SteamVR doesn’t even launch with roblox as a dependency, I can still close it without closing roblox but this is still very annoying.

If you don’t use SteamVR regularly you can easily fix this by moving Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR into any folder but the common folder. It is a bit of a double edged sword, as SteamVR will stop working altogether, but it will stop SteamVR from launching. A good solution for people who don’t currently use their VR headsets or just have SteamVR installed for other reasons. You can simply drag it back into common when it’s fixed.

Did not work. It is definitely a Steam or Roblox problem.

1 Like

This is still happening. The only workaround would be to not play any game :neutral_face:

1 Like

A work around i found was unplugging the USB to my vive hub. It still launched steam VR, but roblox did not go into VR mode and i can just easily close steamvr that opens.

I hope this gets patched soon. Discord screenshare prioritizes capturing the SteamVR popup and it comes back every time i teleport in a game. Really annoying.

4 Likes

This is a MASSIVE hindrance to everyone, not just developers.
Especially if you’re someone like me who also has other programs bound to also launch with SteamVR, it’s like getting everything set up for a VR session without actually having a headset in.
since I have PSMoveService & Driver4VR set up to launch with SteamVR to help track my position, they ALSO launch.

And then the fact that it does it every time you TELEPORT (which I found out pretty soon, trying to playtest my own game). Isn’t that a bit too much? Maybe launch it once for every Roblox instance??
And every time it does this, It forces the program to hang for like 30 seconds! WHY!

Getting back on track, I really hope it gets solved. there is so much wrong with this - It causes so many issues for a simple fix (which is, the old behavior before this update was announced).

5 Likes

can confirm still happening to me - I haven’t plugged a vr headset into this computer for well over a year :disappointed_relieved:

5 Likes

I have a valve index aswell, and I am consistently getting this problem every single time I try to open a game on Roblox.

For the index, at least, unplugging the DisplayPort cable into the GPU and then starting Roblox will still open SteamVR, but now you can close SteamVR without it also closing the Roblox client.

Bug keeps occurring on my end, only pops up a “headset not connected” allowing me to close it out but it’s annoying it opens every time.

1 Like

This popup seems to appear even with VR mode turned off

I have also been experiencing this issue as well. I don’t have any of my VR devices plugged in and I also have the VR setting on Roblox turned off yet it still opens SteamVR every time I open up Roblox.

4 Likes

I too am having this issue, I don’t even own a link cable for my Quest 2 so I don’t know why or how this is happening to me or anyone with a similar situation.
Hopefully, this gets fixed soon, it’s not game-breaking but it does get quite irritating at times

1 Like