Storing a Terrain Region for later use

How would I save a terrain region, or terrain data, for multiple use.

Kinda like making a custom island, and then pasting that island in at a specific location, based on stored information else where to get the same exact shape in which it was copied from.

3 Likes

Don’t forget to search before you create a post in the future.

2 Likes

That didn’t help at all. Other than letting me know what I can’t do, The only relevant bit was the fact I could store it in a table and convert it to JSON. Before hinting that I could use ReadVoxels and Write Voxels… Which I already knew.

So my question still stands. But considering this was the only answer, I’ll probably end up making a feature request.

Thanks anyway.

2 Likes

Caching terrain? Oh dear.

This hurts my eyes, but I don’t know if it is related:

Not sure but if you can, try extracting the code out of the plugin and see for yourself how it works.

The thing is I have never seen any game that utilized terrain saving and loading yet. Perhaps it will be a feature request, if you’re looking for a more flexible approach.

4 Likes

Yeah I realized that even if I were able to store the terrain. I wouldn’t be able to create a proper preview as they do with the region tool where you can move the region. I’m expecting something like that.

I’ll check out the code and see if it’s use-able, looks to be compiling the data pretty well. I’ll probably do a feature request in the meantime for a TerrainRegion value object, and the ability to generate a small scale preview of the region, as well as being able to convert that region object to a string for more simplified storage. Any improvements to this?

1 Like

I’m 99% sure your able to view to source code of the official terrain tools somewhere in the plugins folder, if you find that then you should be able to see how roblox do it in their official plugin.

2 Likes

Thanks, Doing that has given me a few ideas on how I could possibly handle my own preview for the terrain.