Story for a horror game?

Hi guys,
Im working on a horror game right now and i noticed that even if everything is done (scripting modules, etc.) and i have the building stuff to build some scary scenes I don’t even know how the horror Story should even look like…
My idea so far:
(firstly i don’t want that the player ends in a japanese building where a scary guy chases you down in endless mazes) - I need a unique story concept :grin:
Ok so, the story starts in a forest. You and your friends where searching for a missing friend (you get some hints that the missing friend got kidnapped). As the game moves on you notice that strange things happen where ever you go (strange noises, side-jumpscares, etc.).
Ok my brain stopped working here, I am out of ideas.
I was thinking about a detective-like story game with some scary monsters and a Person which uses humans for his experiments (in this case the friend)
Tell me your ideas :D, how should i continue my poorly thought story?
Any ideas would be highly appreciated!!!

Think of something you never want get into like:

The screen turn black, the player gets teleported to a house full of clues that will help you escape the house.

2 Likes

You come home after a long week of work.
Excited for tonight, you’ll finally get to play that new game you’ve been waiting to play. Just for a couple of hours, until the old lady comes home.
Your PC turns on with a satisfying purr. You have your snacks, drinks, and are fully comfortable in your chair, ready to play.

Your face turns from enjoyment, to anger, to terror.

“Update required: 60GB. Est. Time: 5h.”

Noooooooooo

2 Likes

My idea:

You continue wandering around the forest, searching for your friend. You notice a note, hung on a tree. Written with blood (not a good sign) the note tells you to come to a cabin, and gives you the location of the cabin. You see the cabin up ahead, and you notice that its strange, and creepy looking. You enter the cabin, and you hear a strange voice. It tells you that your friend is trapped inside the cabin, and to get him back, you must complete all objectives. You are given a rusty sword, to fight off the monsters that roam the cabin. If you fail, then nobody will be hearing from you anytime soon…

That’s it for my idea. Also first reply, so I hoped this helped!

Thats a good idea! The Kidnapper gives you a chance (like he is playing a game with you). If you fail noone will ever see you again (bad ending → you see your kidnapped friend being used for experiments) but if you win everything you get your friend (good ending), but the kidnapper leads you into a trap. As you were close to escaping with your friend every door closes and you have to final escape from a monster

1 Like