Strange Blur on Screen Interfering with Gameplay

Hello,

This particular issue is probably something that doesn’t relate to game-design support (hence I apologise) but it was the closest category that I figured it would.

For quite some time, I’ve begun experiencing this peculiar blur when playing my upcoming game, both in Studio and in my published game. This seems to only occur on the client as opposed to the server. This problem extends far beyond my understanding of game development and I have no clue as to how to resolve this.

I’ve attached a few images just to demonstrate the issue:

(please disregard the horrendous guis as I’m still working on them)

These screenshots portray that parts close to the character are blurred, whereas distant parts are clear; similar to how a pointlight works, but everything within the "aura’s " range appears obscured. Additionally, in the last photo, the image of my “MALWARE” character (on a billboard gui) appears clear against the skybox, however, parts close to it/where the image overlays parts blur the character too. Also note that this blur had a trend of occurring when there was an error with my game scripts, but since I’ve fixed everything in the round-based script, this issue still remains. This blurry effect occurs intermittently during gameplay, with it appearing anytime between upon loading into a place or occurring halfway through. Most of the time, though, the effect starts after teleporting into a map from the lobby.

I’ve checked my memory usage - which I thought had to be the issue - but it seems okay for such a game I’m developing (even when comparing against games similar to mine), though it could use some improvement. Anyway, the rest of the performance stats I don’t think to have any influence on this blur effect, but I’m nevertheless open to feedback if I’ve missed something. The only probable cause is a high-part count as my lobby comprises 24k parts causing interference.

It really disheartens me to encounter this issue and I’m hoping you could share some insight.

Check your Lighting or Camera you have an object called “DepthOfField” in one of them. Thats whats triggering your issue here.

3 Likes

This doesn’t appear to be the issue because I don’t have that particular object under my camera. Recall that this blur effect occurs randomly, mostly whenever players teleport to the map. It’s incredibly frustrating to record as of right now as the issue doesn’t occur. So, I’ll have to test some more to confirm if the issue still persists.

That looks like a depth of field effect. Make sure that there is no depth of field instance under the currentcamera or the lighting. Make sure you don’t have any script that create a depth of field instance; this is likely to happen if you use models or scripts from the library. If a script creates the depth of field instance, you probably will not see it in the explorer in studio.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed similar behaviour when using ROBLOX shader packs, maybe your problem originates from the same cause (if you’re using any)?

1 Like

Okay, so I’ve removed the instance underneath the lighting service and I can confirm, after testing 15 rounds, that that was quite possibly the cause of the issue.

For future reference, I don’t quite understand why this object would “activate” at random points in my game. I don’t have any scripts that alter the properties of this object!

I haven’t installed any shader packs. My program is mostly at a default condition.

It’s possible that players who experience this issue play roblox on automatic graphics. A graphics level of 7 or below will automatically disable depth of field.

1 Like