Strange compression on textures on R15 assets

So when i add my 1k texture to an item it looks correct but when i use it on an R15 character it looks compressed it looks good on the Rthro though

Expected behavior

I expect the 1k texture to not become compressed.

7 Likes

Textures for an entire humanoid character are composited into one texture. Sometimes this texture is downscaled by the engine depending on device, memory pressure, etc. This is very normal. You can instead optimize your UV layout to make your islands larger, especially areas that require crisp edges, and overlap symmetrical areas. Vertex colors can also be used creatively with overlay mode surface appearance IIRC.

4 Likes

Its odd that it works on Rthro and not R15 though and im on a high end PC under no heavy load

2 Likes

Does the rthro character have UGC 2D shirts and pants equipped? These also use up space in the character texture atlas. Roblox might dynamically adjust the layout depending on if they’re present or not.

3 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

2 Likes

Hello and thank you for reaching out. Our suggestion to resolve the issue is to create a SurfaceAppearance on the item, and that will avoid it getting downscaled when applied to an R15.

Please reach out if you have any questions

4 Likes

But i cant upload that as UGC. will surface appearance be available for UGC rigid assets in the future?

1 Like

Hello, understood, we are currently working in enabling SurfaceAppearance for rigid accessories using MeshPart instead of SpecialMesh. It should be enabled relatively soon, so stay tuned :slight_smile:

1 Like

Amazing that will be awesome thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.