Strange lighting glitch and block rending failures?

I need to figure out exactly where I am having issues with my light source. I have a spotlight in a part, following the camera. The problem is that the light doesn’t render in some situations. Manly location based I believe.
Spawning usually is dark. I have verified the light is in fact following the player, the light level of the source doesn’t seem to be an issue. I was very confused until I realized if my character moves to far from the original structure or above a specific height; it too fails to render. This leads me to believe it might be a memory problem. The game is generated at spawn and is roughly 40000 basic part instances.
Memory sits around 400. The problem exists in all studio tests and an active place.

Is this a common issue? Does anyone have a clue as to what I should look into?

Example of the hard line of light rendering on wall. As well as on a platform only 1500 studs high.

1 Like

I’m not sure if it’s the same glitch, but recently some users have been experiencing lighting issues related to ShadowMap.

If you set your lighting technology to voxel and then set it back to what it used to be it may solve your issue.

If this doesn’t work it may be a problem with streaming, if you have StreamingEnabled set to true in Workspace you may need to localize the part with the light if it already isn’t local. To make the part local simply create a local script in a local service such as StarterPlayerScripts, StarterGUI, StarterCharacterScripts, etc.
In the script you will want to spawn the part into workspace, so that it’s only seen by that player. You will want to make sure the part stays near to the player so it doesn’t filter out.

If neither of those solutions work, I recommend you fiddle around with the lighting settings while play testing to see what fixes it. If nothing seems to work you might want to file a bug report since this behavior does seem quite bizarre.

~ Hope I helped, Xitral

1 Like

Switching the lighting technology seemed to help a little bit with some of the random blackouts. The persistent areas are still a problem. Above about Y=200 has massive issues. The lighting source is local and also exists as a total blackout area even if I have Lighting.Brightness up. Neither Ambient type or any other stat I have tried has fixed it. However, I can’t recreate the problem in a new place file without copying instances** into it. This leads me to believe it might be a form of corruption or a hardware limitation caused by messing with my GPU. I am going to have someone else confirm it and bump this topic on bug reports; I don’t believe I can.

This was a helpful response though, so I will mark it as the solution! Lots of tips and steps I can take. Exactly what I needed!