StreamingEnabled not rendering BaseParts that are descendants of a model which is a descendant of a BasePart

I’ve encountered a super strange issue with StreamingEnabled in studio and occasionally in live games.
When you have a BasePart that contains a model, and the model contains BaseParts, the BaseParts don’t appear to exist on the client. I’ve tried to reproduce this with the same hierarchy inside of an empty baseplate, but it seems to consistently there - however in our game it consistently breaks. If you swap the parent BasePart to a model, and parent the child model inside of the new parent model then it all of a sudden works and the parts stream.

No clue what is going on here, but it works consistently when I swap the BasePart out for a model, whereas if I have the BasePart as the parent, the objects that are BaseParts inside of the model do not appear to exist on the client even when the character is inside of the streaming radius.

Here are some screenshots for clarification:

3 Likes

I made a post about this too. It has yet to be approved but as of yesterday’s update, any parts that are a descendant of a part will not be rendered under any circumstances.

1 Like

Hi, for streaming enabled, each part is considered for streaming in independently. So one thing that can happen is if the child is close to the character, but the parent part is still far away, the child would be recommended for stream-in, but because it has no parent to exist under on the client yet, it won’t be; however, when the parent is eventually considered close enough then the child should also pop-in. For your example, is the root part possibly significantly further away from the character than the child parts?

Also, to help further investigate, can you send us a place id for a file that is currently experiencing this issue? If you don’t want to have the place id be public on the forum you can send it to me in a private message.

2 Likes

Interesting, that makes sense. That might be the case. In our game the child model gets set to the same position as the parent BaseParts position, however it is almost as if the child models descendants behave as if they were in their old position (so it doesn’t stream the descendants). It appears to work when changing the target radius to something really big, so it looks like streaming enabled thinks that the parts aren’t in a different position than they actually are? I’ll get back to you in regards to place access. Thank you :slight_smile:

Also suffering from this bug. Repo is simple enough, easier to trigger by parenting a whole model in after the player has joined.

1 Like

Does this problem still exist, or was it resolved by the fix I turned on for this:

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/re-streamingenabled-not-rendering-baseparts-that-are-descendants-of-a-model-which-is-a-descendant-of-a-basepart/462737

1 Like

Hi! This is fixed, thank you so much

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.