StreamingMesh rendering bug on large models with children models

Removing anything from a larger streamingmesh mode from the client causes visual glitches

Reproduction environment:
Streaminenabled on: settings do not matter

One model copied from serverstorage into workspace by server (? unknown if related)

• Model should have child models
  • Model needs to have levelofdetail set to streamingmesh
  • One or more child models should have streamingmesh enabled (? unknown if related)

Once loaded in, remove something from the model.
Most of the model will disappear and turn into a very low quality streaming mesh. For me that’s that pyramid.
Lights and such will stay as well as collisions.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

A private message is associated with this bug report

2 Likes

This behavior will occur when locally deleting descendants of a streaming mesh enabled model on a client. A deletion performed on the server does not exhibit this behavior. We may address this in the future, but it is not in our immediate plans.

In general, it isn’t a good idea to modify models with streaming mesh enabled during gameplay (either on client or server), because the meshes are not recreated at runtime; they will continue to reflect the state of the geometry at authoring. Again, this could improve in the future, but we do not have any future plans to share at this time.

1 Like

Sorry to hijack this thread but it’s the only one I’ve found to be open and that has clear information about this.

This here is unfortunately a dealbreaker for our tycoon games - we author one “template” tycoon in studio that gets duplicated for X amount of players and moved, not otherwise modified, during startup. We’re seeing streaming mesh behave weirdly and appear at the original authored position and not where the model actually is in game. Would it be feasible to have accurate streaming meshes for models that have only been moved at runtime?

Hello. Apologies to not get back to you until now; I hadn’t noticed your response before the holiday.

I don’t have a super-satisfying answer for you beyond saying that we are aware of the issue with moving models with streaming meshes (we have a ticket tracking this problem) and have had internal discussions on the matter. I hope to have good news on this for you in the future, but do not have any news or timelines to share on this at present.

1 Like

I seem to have a similar issue, except the parts are black. These are client-sided only, and in studio, these objects arent even here. I removed everything in workspace in the playtest to demonstrate.

Update: I turned the StreamingMesh off and on and it fixed?