Studio and Player Application does not appropriately create file associations on Windows 11

Attempting to launch experiences from the web does not launch Roblox Player or Roblox Studio, since file associations are not being created as expected.

This issue started happening recently after updating Roblox Player. I have not updated Windows.

Attempting to launch Roblox Studio from the web yields the following error:
Going into settings to check default apps for link associations provides nothing:

Same thing happens with Roblox Player. Attempting to launch an experience from the web yields the following:
Going into settings to check default apps for link associations provides nothing:

Pressing “Choose a default” doesn’t allow me to choose any app, because I am assuming that Roblox Player has to create the link associations on its own.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Roblox several times. The issue persists. This issue does not exist with other link associations, such as Zoom. I have also attempted to switch browsers to no avail.

Specs
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:121.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/121.0
Operating System: Windows 11, Version 22H2 (Build 22621.1702)

2 Likes

Could you try updating to 23H2? It seems to work fine on that version.

1 Like

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

1 Like

Thanks for the report! Do you launch Roblox from Firefox browser? Could you check if it work in Chrome or Edge?

1 Like

Hi @RobertCorbet, thank you for the report. In addition to trying other browsers, here are some suggestions if you want to continue using Firefox. Please do these after a fresh re-install:

• Go to Firefox Settings and scroll down to Applications section. If there is a roblox-player and/or roblox-studio content type, try to manually associate them to the correct application.
  • Try to open Roblox Player or Roblox Studio using the desktop shortcut at least once before launching the applications from the web.
  • Try emptying %LOCALAPPDATA%\Roblox\Versions directory and re-install.

I’m not sure what got you into a bad state, but I hope one of these actions get you out of it.

2 Likes

I attempted to use Chrome and Edge to solve the problem, and they did the same thing.

Manually creating file associations in Librewolf/Firefox fixed the issue. Not sure why this happened in the first place. Thank you to all that helped.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.