Studio Beta: CSG Has a New Engine - Vroom, Vroom, Vroom!

Hey don’t be sorry! Please report any issue you may have with CSG V3.
I will review the one you sent and will post an update soon. Thanks :wink:

1 Like

Will it be possible to bring the archiving feature like for mesh uploads to CSG V3? It will be a good feature to prevent those unwanted leaks or unauthorized usage in different games.

I will investigate and let you know. Thanks for the suggestion

1 Like

What’s the triangle/polygon limit of CSG V3?

The limit is set to 20k triangles. There’s an inbuilt simplification that helps keeping complex CSG objects below that limit but it’s far from perfect. We’re still working on it.

2 Likes

There’s a bug, when I change my union’s CollisionFidelity it doesn’t apply, I have to separate the union to its parts and I need to change the CollisionFidelity of all parts separately and then union again. This isn’t a new bug but still happens as far as I can see.

I misunderstood, if you put a union’s CF to example preciseconvex, it’ll change it back to default?

No it stays at the value I set but it’s not changing anything, it’s very visible with my build.

Ohh, can you give me a gif or some kind of video?

The biggest problem for me still is that when creating a union with negativeparts, the edges of the union will have the colors of the negativepart that cut the shape out, rather than the color of the parts I’m trying to create the union with.

A small example when cutting out windows with red negativeparts:

In this case, I wanted this outcome, but sometimes I just absolutely don’t and have to disable the beta feature and reboot Studio to make it work, what options will there be once this feature is enabled by default? Thanks!

In those cases turn on the UsePartColor property of the resulting Union, that will cause it to have only a single color decided by the Color property rather than having multiple different fixed-color regions.

I’ve had a union where I couldn’t use that either. I was working on the nose of a train model, which had 3 colors and some curves and edges at the front, which I made with a union, but with the new engine, the entire front colored grey (the color of the negativepart). Since I needed the 3 different colors I couldn’t really use the UsePartColor property either.

We’re aware of that limitation and this is something we intend on fixing. The issue is that both options have valid use cases so we may have to introduce a parameter / property to allow switching between both.

1 Like

Hello, I’ve recently been facing a pretty confusing bug regarding unions and negative parts. In short, UnionOperations will consistently change sizes arbitrarily if combined with certain NegativeParts. However, these arbitrary size changes will only occur within a live game and not in Roblox Studio.

I first experienced this issue July 21, 2022 upon joining a live game of my project. At first I believed it may have been an issue with server to client replication as I had previously fiddled with the StreamingEnabled option. However, upon toggling the StreamingEnabled option off, the issue persisted.

I then thought it may have been a floating point error of sorts as players would be teleported thousands of studs away to a map containing the broken unions, but upon testing the unions near the world center, the issue persisted.

This led me to believe that there was code within the game altering the unions somehow, so after looking through the entire codebase for any references to the broken unions and finding none; I decided to test the unions in an empty baseplate and managed to consistently replicate the issue.

In my testing I’ve found that this issue does not occur within Roblox Studio and only occurs within a live version of the game. I thought to try toggling on/off the CSG V3 beta feature in studio, which had no effect on the unions. I’ve created a place that can be used to reproduce the issue, however the game must be played in a live environment to replicate the issue.

This is what the unions look like while playing in Roblox Studio:

This is what the unions look like when playing in a live game:

As you can see in the live game, the unions along with their corresponding negative parts seem to have shrunk.

Here is the game file that I used to reproduce this issue, you can test it in studio and in a live game:
Broken Unions.rbxl (74.5 KB)
If there’s any other information I should provide to help with this issue, I’d love to help.

UPDATE (July 22, 2022):
After further testing, I found that this union sizing issue primarily occurs with unions that were created using the old union engine and unions made using CSG V3 will retain their size/shape normally.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the detailed description. I will have a look and will let you know once we’ve found the root cause.

1 Like

Nice! can’t wait for Client-Side CSG, it is going to be perfect for my current game.

Yes, to get any fix, you need to restart Studio.

By any chance with materialservice if two unions share the same materialvarient can it automatically transfer into the union instead of taking effect of the material its replicating?

vid example: personally would prefer the materialvarient to move into the union as displayed below it resets it

Hello! I am new to the forum so I hope I am making my issue clear enough.

What am I attempting to achieve? I am trying to simply union like I used to without issues.

What is the issue? When I try to negate unions which I believe were made with CSG Legacy where before it worked fine however now it does not (CSG Legacy) and says basically that the union is unsolvable when I try to negate it, though its worked many times before. CSG Legacy (on the left) is also the original model, so that’s how it should look, however I can’t negate it.

What solutions have you tried so far? I basically turned off CSG Legacy and enabled CSG V3, this worked but to an extent for the visor obviously has some unwanted lines, I have put together and image to show examples of my problem.

Again sorry if I am not being clear enough, thank you!

Original model: https://create.roblox.com/marketplace/asset/899871657/Clone-Trooper-Helmet?pageNumber=1&pagePosition=2&keyword=clone+helmet

5 Likes

real time csg doesnt even work for me

2 Likes