Studio Crashing Constantly and Freezes on Play Solo (macOS)

• Describe the bug. Describe what is happening when the bug occurs. Describe what you would normally expect to occur.
    Studio keeps crashing. Normally I would expect the Studio to not crash. There are no error messages, the studio just closes. Stopping a Play Solo session while Datastore is enabled also freezes studio and prints this
    20:10:08.485 - Not running script because past shutdown deadline (x248)

• How often does the bug happen (Everytime/sometimes/rarely)? What are the steps that reproduce the bug? Please list them in very high detail. Provide simple example places that exhibit the bug and provide description of what you believe should be the behavior.
    It happens sometimes, quite randomly, while I’m scripting or when Play Solo is loading (where the logo is should be spinning but it’s not). I cannot reproduce the crash constantly. The freezing does not happen when Datastore is not enabled. When Datastore is enabled I also have a 5 second BindToClose.

• Where does the bug happen (www, gametest, etc) Is it level-specific? Is it game specific? Please post a link to the place that exhibits the issue.
    It’s happening for two of my games. I don’t think this is game specific but rather macOS specific.

• When did the bug start happening? If we can tie it to a specific release that helps us figure out what we broke.
    I have experienced random crashes ever since I switched from Windows to macOS. But it’s happening way more often with the new update (Accurate Play Solo, the new output log with colored tags). I also had no freezing when I stopped a Play Solo session before, datastore enabled or not.

Edit: I forgot about this bug. I sometimes cannot toggle UI visibility or emulator where the button is grayed out.

Summary

2 Likes

It has done that to mean sometimes, I believe it is because of a script error, or too many parts in a game, or you have too much space on your macOS. Not sure if any of that is true, but just trying to help.

Crashing is happening while I’m scripting too, before anything runs. The increased crash frequency and the freezing only started with the new update.

Try checking your space on the computer, maybe it could be that.

this happens for me too but on windows 10 and while editing a published game i recently made w/o any problems

example

The game running past shutdown is datastore (at least in my case)

Wow, that has actually happen to me too. Unfortunately, I loose a lot of builds when it does that.

Easiest crash repro is to open a published place, press play solo, stop the simulation, publish the game twice, press play solo, and crash

Hi, Wunder_Wulfe,

We are trying to reproduce the top crash in office, while could not make it. I have tried the method in your last post, works fine also. If you can consistently reproduce the issue, could you please provide us a full dump? The default crash dump generated by Studio is a mini one, missing a lot of info.

Please check below link about how to generate full dump, thank a lot:-)
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/931673/how-to-create-a-user-mode-process-dump-file-in-windows

I cant get it to happen again. It seems to happen after a while of using studio, however, as it happens when i already made quite a few updates. It does not happen immediately but those are the last things i did before it crashed. I have quite a few log files named RBX. Are any of these from crashes?

If you are working on Windows and Studio crashes again, please don’t dismiss the error message, use TaskManager to save a full dump as below link, then share with me:-)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/931673/how-to-create-a-user-mode-process-dump-file-in-windows

Btw, I am taking one day off today, and will try to check the dump as long as find some available time:-)
If that’s the top crash we are unable to reproduce, that would be great!