Studio DataStore keeps returning HTTP 403 (Forbidden)

Update: Looks like the “Studio Access to API Services” was randomly turned off for the universes I was testing with. Possibly related to this post: https://devforum.roblox.com/t/roblox-studio-api-services-bug/839724

Ever since sometime Saturday (10/24) I have been unable to test my game in Studio. I’m not sure why but DataStores keeps returning HTTP 403 (Forbidden) in Studio. This happens on both my PC and Mac. This does not happen when playing online (RCC).

This happens both with a Local File ( with game:SetPlaceId() set in the command bar ) and when editing from the cloud ( Not using Team Create ). I did not have this issue before

This happens even on a simple Baseplate published to a Universe/Place and calling
GetAsync or UpdateAsync

Specifically, the error I’m getting is:
502: API Services rejected request with error. HTTP 403 (Forbidden)

3 Likes

Make sure you have enabled “Studio Access to API Services” Game Settings | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

3 Likes

Oh wow, that was it. Thanks. I didn’t know that feature affected DataStores in that way.

FYI for engineers: I never turned that checkbox off, and it was off for 2 universes I usually test with. I turned it back on and I’m able to test in studio again.

You say that you didn’t disable that? I’ve seen a user have the checkbox disabled even when they did not disable it. Could it be related to this:

(This should be in studio bugs, but the user is not a regular and therefore cannot post there.)

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! This looks like I had the same issue.

For engineers: I did notice this started happening after publishing a local file ( File → Publish to Roblox As ) so it’s possible the publish flow is sometimes turning this checkbox off.

Maybe edit this post to include that. While the original reason of the post isn’t a bug, I think that might be. I seriously hope that behavior is not intended, that would be annoying. A separate topic might be better so engineers can look into this.

1 Like

Thank you for reporting this. I was not able to reproduce it through publish flow, but I have noticed that if the root place is renamed it also renames the game as expected and also resets the “Studio Access to API Services” flag. We will look into this ASAP.

5 Likes

We have found and fixed a bug which we believe is the root cause for this checkbox misbehaving. Let us know if you still experience this issue.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.