Studio Design Refresh - Updated Icons & High DPI Capabilities

Along with these new icons comes Direct3D11 being broken and crashing again

6 Likes

This is an amazing upgrade for Studio! Seeing the new Workspace icon was a little jarring, and the colors are certainly very vibrant, but the feature I’m most excited for is native Custom Icon support! (@Elttob Vanilla icon set port when :eyes:)

Overall, great update! Will certainly make use of it further ahead.

4 Likes

The old Vanilla3Studio still works; just tested it

(nvm doesn’t work on the terrain editor)

3 Likes

Hell yeah, finally. Looks good and/or better. Yellow is a bit jarring but, otherwise thanks so much!!

Edit: Hold up. Custom icons are officially supported!? Surprised people are missing this…

4 Likes

Trying to opt-out of the High DPI Aware feature doesn’t seem to work :warning:
I like the icons I think they’ve been improved!

But having the correct scale is troubling me the most and my laptop with a small 1080 monitor that I force myself to scale up so that its not so small, I just want my studio to have 1080 resolution like normal 100% scale despite my actual setting, or else everything just looks BIG and CRAMMED

I know this is a really specific issue on my end but I’m definitely not the only one with this Scale issue out of the few, I would seriously appreciate a setting for this in studio :warning:

(Changing the Compatibility DPI Settings doesn’t make a difference either, I mean it when I say I tried everything I could to possibly try and reverse this)

8 Likes

The general rule is a bit hard to pick up on but it’s:

• Blue: Modifier Instance that affects the parent

• Greyscale: Instance that can be parented wherever you want

With some exceptions, such as scripting related Instances, and hierarchies of GUI Instances where different coloring was used for pragmatic reasons.

13 Likes

i dont like, i just want the current UI please :confused:

29 Likes

Terrain Editor has icons, but the stroke thickness feels quite inconsistent, which I assume isn’t desired?

As others have stated, I don’t know what these white squares represent. I’m not sure if they are meaningful if I can’t easily figure out their meaning on my own, plus they take up essential icon space.

And workspace is finally no longer a screen! Workspace is a globe, we all know it as a globe, and it’s more descriptive than a screen which could also implicate 2d interface.

While the colors do feel a bit funky to me, I guess legibility is more important in this case, and we’re able to use our own icons now so if we don’t like it we could replace them. Very nice! The text even looks crisper on a 1080p monitor, which I’m not sure if it actually is, but kudos!

Backpack and PlayerScripts are missing icons, and I’m not sure if there are other ones missing. As far as I’m aware, this only applies to Asset Manager & Terrain Editor, which I can see the icons for.

The “+” icon appears to be a bit higher than it should be (not centered), and feels just a smidge too small, where it was too big previously.

There is something I really enjoy about the script icons, even if they may appear a bit ‘empty’, very clean and I understand what they implicate instantly. (Though the size difference of Script is a bit off putting)

I can see the icons for UI were improved as well :D!

16 Likes

It broke my studio, I cannot see the places. But I can click on them.

I also cannot even click on the icons for their functionaility (The plus icon next to the classes in the drop down menus example a part in workspace

4 Likes

Could you please just hire @Elttob to do it instead.

It’s still flawed pretty heavily and I think everyone would much rather have it be done right third time.

I’m sure he’s going through it all right now to write a long video/audio on how to improve.

Also what about the textbox.

15 Likes

Makes a little more sense, but still feels a little funny in some categories, e.g. all of the layout classes in UI, don’t these modify behavior? Not 100% sure if I like the coloration yet, but the shapes are solid.

7 Likes

Will finally give me a reason to update Roblox Studio to it’s newest version.

5 Likes

If I press “+” on any object in workspace, it freezes my Roblox studio. Roblox please fix this, or any solutions?

5 Likes

I can’t even see the adding of instances at all for me

3 Likes

Within the first second of seeing the new icons in the old announcement, my mind just felt at unease. It was, in my own opinion, bit of a chaos, some icons didn’t make sense, some icons felt lazy, I even tried to use them but just didn’t feel like it worked for me.

Now seeing this announcement, I felt comfortable at first glance, I can see some icons have changed, and some icons which practically didn’t even have icons before, now actually do! Still personally disagree with some icons, but it’s not bad, it works, unlike before.

6 Likes

Blue for Instances that affect their parent is the general rule but it doesn’t make sense to stick to always, some of the other coloring is pragmatic:

• UI Instances hierarchies are self-contained and highly parent relationship based unlike Instances in other parts of the engine, so the coloration is better used to show which are passive (blue) / active (green) components there.

• Scripting Instances are important enough to have their own colors, and benefit from using the conventional coloring for Event (yellow-orange) / Method (purple).

• Some Instances like Humanoid and Model are important enough to call out with unique coloring.

8 Likes

That all makes sense on paper.
Looking at the UI in context does feel a little more cohesive, so I think I can settle that.

That really only leaves the issues with the workspace icon and the obstructive corner square on some service icons. Otherwise pretty satisfied I think.

11 Likes

Amazing update

It really feels great to have a new and fresh look for Roblox Studio, I’ve been waiting for new icons to arrive for such a long time! :pray:

Good job!

5 Likes

There are a few last details like here though where I feel like these icons would be better using the same color (orange instead of blue) so they feel more “together”. Is there a reason for the blue here?

Are we going to get more icons for all of the classes with generic icons sometime?

Thank you!

8 Likes

Also want to point out the strange light blue color here for the Team class:

Is this a different color for a reason, or is this just an unupdated icon? Previously some icons were being used as both class icons and ribbonbar icons, wondering if reuse is the reason why this is a (barely perceptibly) different color; this is important to separate for custom icon purposes and shouldn’t stay this way if that’s what’s going on here. Otherwise the color used here is out of place.

5 Likes