Studio developer console not showing server output & command line doesn't work

At least since summer 2020, if you open the developer console while playtesting in studio and click on the “server” tab, no output will be shown and command line doesn’t do anything. Here’s a video demonstrating the issue:

Repro:

1. Create a “hello world” script in ServerScriptService or Workspace.
  2. Open the developer console with F9 and switch to server output. No logs will be shown and command line isn’t working.

This issue is exclusive to studio, console works normally in live servers.
There are no CoreGui errors in client output.

3 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

Please note that filling a bug report does not guarantee that it will be fixed once triaged.

3 Likes

Oh I’ve always thought that this is intentional

An annoying workaround is to go to server mode and use the studio console

I hope this gets fixed soon

I’ve also experienced this issue a few weeks ago, and what I found was that this happens with unpublished places. I used a local file that was just a baseplate and the new baseplate template place but nothing showed in the server output tab. Opening a place that was published and testing print worked.

The issue has been fixed now.

3 Likes

Update: this bug started happening again yesterday.

Can confirm, the issue is still happening. Apparently errors, warnings and things printed to the console before you connect are not displayed, but after you connect you will receive print() stuff on the console, but still not errors or warnings, even if they were generated after your connection.
Only a studio issue. I have tested in a team test server.

1 Like

this bug is happening to me currently, when i just play in studio it works but when i server client test it doesn’t work for the clients

1 Like

Just ran into this today.

Repro:

• Start a playtest in Studio
  • Change to server view
  • Enter print("Hello from server!")
    into Studio’s output command bar and press enter

Expected behaviour:
Opening the developer console on the client view and switching to the Server tab should show the message “Hello from server!”

Actual behaviour:
Nothing appears in the Server tab, and instead ends up in the client tab. May only affect Studio playtests.

1 Like

Bug is still happening, it’s been 2 years, Roblox is a multi-billion dollar company… any update or progress or ANYTHING? I’m not even worried about in studio, the server-side developer console STILL doesn’t show up half the time in my LIVE games.

2 Likes

Sorry for the bump. This has just started happening to me. 3 years later. Fix your platform Roblox.