Studio force opens the Oculus app, and force closes all Studio windows without any warning

Every time I start Studio it opens the Oculus app on my computer, which I don’t want open, because I don’t have a headset plugged in. When I close the Oculus app, it force closes all my Studio windows, without any sort of warning.

• As noted before, I don’t have any VR headset at all plugged in, and the Oculus app also says the same thing.
  • This is probably similar to what happens with SteamVR, as noted in this thread from November 2017.
  • Here’s another thread with a similar issue that force opens SteamVR from December 2016.

VR support on Roblox hasn’t improved, or really changed at all, in over two years. Why does Roblox Studio forcibly enable the silent VR mode whenever any software/hardware is detected, when nobody is making games for a VR audience, and it is causing incredibly disruptive issues such as these?

10 Likes

could it perhaps be personal bindings based one the software from these oculuus devices ?

2 Likes

I don’t even own an Oculus device, and have never plugged in one. That’s the weirdest part. I only downloaded the software because I’m considering buying one in the near term future.

3 Likes

Perhaps a temporary workaround would be to uninstall the app for the time being?

1 Like

and your saying the issue is on robloxes side, for recognising the occolus code but not the hardware ?

1 Like

For now I’ll keep the app because I’ve already downloaded a bunch of stuff on it in anticipation of buying some hardware to play with. Don’t want to download over 50 gigs again. I’ll just let it sit in the background and try my best not to touch it while working in Studio, I guess.

Yes. For some reason Roblox Studio thinks that I have VR hardware plugged in and being used even though I have nothing like that plugged in at all, and never did.

If any staff member that takes a look at this, it would be great to just have a setting in Studio to disable any VR behavior. It would fix all of these issues.

2 Likes

my point was that perhaps this is out of robloxes control and just how the oculus systme works (as far as difforentation of system and hardware), also, would it be possible to simply move the files to a place where they cant be detetced, or to zip them temporairrily ?

2 Likes

I’m having this issue as well. Any fix?

2 Likes

Yeah, I have the same issue. Then I look at the Oculus app, He detects that Roblox Studio is an Oculus app/game. So if you open a studio is going to open the app. And if you close the Oculus app is going to turn off Roblox studio. I don’t know how to remove it from there. Because if you press three dots, then remove the app. It will still open. So work with the oculus app for now.

2 Likes

Happening to me as well, I completely unplugged my VR headset, removed studio from my oculus library and it still opens and creates performances issues with studio.

If you’re running a Windows 10 PC you can prevent oculus software from running until you launch it yourself (like launching the shortcut or launching it through the start menu) which will prevent Studio or Roblox Player from thinking you are in VR mode even if you aren’t.

To do this you simply go to Services on Windows (Windows key + ‘S’ then type “Services” and hit ‘Enter’) and scroll down the list till you get to the ‘O’ section (or you can click on the list and press the ‘O’ key to get taken straight there), find and right click “Oculus VR Runtime Service” then click “Properties” and set “Startup type” to manual (don’t forget to click apply and then ok).

This will stop Oculus from running at computer start up but it will launch perfectly normally as soon as you load up the application (you will need to go to services and go to “Oculus VR Runtime Service” and manually stop the process when you are done using the VR if you want to go back on Roblox or Studio without restarting your device. You won’t have to do this every time you start up your device though.)

Sorry if I’m not supposed to talk about how to do it with modifying windows settings or something like that here but this is the only way I know of to fix this issue.

1 Like