Studio freezes forever when opening ANY place with graphics on

This is something very annoying I’ve come across. Basically, studio starts normally. However, as soon (or even while) the place loads, it freezes indefinitely. I saw another thread with a similar issue, but unlike that one, this is happening no matter what account I’m on (tried two), in every place I open, including ones that I have not edited for multiple years.

I’ve tried reinstalling Studio, but that didn’t fix it, I’ve also tried starting Studio on its own and going into the place that way, but it didn’t fix it either. The third thing I tried was saving the place as a file using the roblox.com/asset/?id=ID link, but even opening it as an rbxl file didn’t make a difference. This only happens on Roblox Studio, the normal Roblox client works completely fine. It also hasn’t happened forever on this computer, when I used it last Summer (June - August) Studio worked perfectly fine, but as soon as I first tried using Studio on the 23rd of this month, I’ve been having this issue.

I haven’t been able to see if this happens on my other mac computer, as I’m on vacation and roughly 400 miles away from it right now.

After toying around a bit with settings, I found what seems to be causing it. When I start a place with graphics set to NoGraphics, it does not crash, and I was able to verify the place had loaded by printing Workspace:GetDescendants(). When I have graphics set to anything else (I tried all settings), it always freezes.

I have a gamebreaking camera issue in my game which makes it literally unplayable, and because of this freezing I cannot fix it.

My specs:
Model: MacBook Air (13 tum, mitten 2011)
Processor: 1,7 GHz Intel Core i5
RAM: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

And finally, here’s how my studio looks when frozen. I left my computer on for 3 hours yesterday, but it did not unfreeze. I know it’s frozen, and not just not loading, because the toolbox’s loading animation also freezes.

EDIT: Following @qqtt991’s suggestion, I tried opening a standard place with only an empty Baseplate, and it still froze. Opening said place with no graphics, I saved it as a .RBXLX file, removed the baseplate using textedit, and tried opening it again.

Even though the place was completely empty, with no parts inside, it still froze.

Edit 2: I have tried to pinpoint the exact version this starts happening in, but that hasn’t been possible. What I do know is that this problem was not there in February (version 371), but that it was there as early as April (v. 380).

7 Likes

Has this happened before in the past, and we’re you able to open studio before? I do not do studio work on my MacBook Pro, but it could be an issue with new studio updates. Try restarting your Mac, if you have already done that then I could only assume that it is possibly the specs. I recommend to getting more storage, or a bigger ram since Roblox Studio updates may be really big on download bytes.

Yes I have been able to open studio before on this computer. I don’t think it’s the RAM, since another computer I own which also has 4GB RAM can run Roblox Studio perfectly.

I’ve restarted the computer, with the first thing I did when it started was opening a baseplate template place. It still froze.

UPDATE: Using the mac deployHistory I downloaded a studio version from December 2018. I tried with a normal baseplate place, and as I expected, it didn’t freeze. I’ll be trying to pinpoint the exact version this problem started occurring in.

The exact same for me… but instead of everything else crashes, NoGraphics will Lead me to an UnKnown page.