Studio freezes (not responding) for a long time while publishing game

Oh sorry about that, I have added your account as a friend on Roblox and added you as a collaborator on the team create place - you should be able to access it now to give it a try.

This place here: Testing - Roblox

6 Likes

Thanks, could reproduce it perfectly this time. Will pass on a copy of the place for the team to look into.

1 Like

Ah, thank you so much! I appreciate it!

6 Likes

Hey there @gigagiele , it seems that this issue is also happening to us. It is currently affecting everyone on the team (everyone who has access to the game, and attempted to publish). It started sometime around 2022-10-06T07:00:00Z

I’ve done some investigations on my end, and I’ve narrowed it down to a place-specific issue. Specifically, this place: Mechamato Robot Battle - Roblox (start place)

Pressing the “Publish” button via Studio causes Studio to stop responding. I’ve waited it out and it took roughly 34 minutes in total for it to successfully publish.

I am not able to reproduce this issue in the other places within the same universe.

Additionally, Studio will also stop responding momentarily (roughly 5-6 minutes) if I try to update a Package that includes the start place. However, if I exclude the start place, the Package was updated almost instantly.

Please let me know if I can help in any way in order for you to resolve this as soon as possible.

EDIT: Will try to attempt to publish the game using Roblox’s Place Publishing API tomorrow morning. Will edit this and let you know how it goes.

EDIT EDIT: It seems like using Roblox’s Place Publishing API is a valid workaround. The game was published almost instantly.

Thanks

2 Likes

Hello, I’d like to report that I’m still having this exact same issue, on a place that is also very large. Started happening at the same date (around 9/20/2022).

If you wait for a long time, the place does eventually get published. Sometimes it takes like around 5 minutes, and sometimes it’s like 15 or 20.

Happens for me only when trying to publish this place: Estadio Nacional de Chile - Roblox

3 Likes

Hey, I’m having the exact same issue and it’s been happening for over a week now.

As soon as I publish or save a specific game studio freezes and keeps loading, the place shows that the update has been published, however when I join the update is not there.

This is the only game experiencing the issue: State of Annistyn - Roblox

This usually occurs if you have a lot of Unions in your game. Try using Smooth Block Models instead of Unions if this is the case.

I’ve been experiencing this issue exactly as outlined by OP for a long time with a very large place. The issue began suddenly around the same time mentioned by others (9/20) - there was/has been no increase in the size of the game that would cause this. I’ve taken large steps to reduce the size of the game which hasn’t solved the issue.

When pressing the publish button, Studio will go into the “Not Responding” state for 5-10+ minutes and will eventually unfreeze with “Sent message to server to Publish.” Immediately followed by the “Published new changes” message. The issue is not present with other places in the universe.

Is there any update on this @gigagiele ?

Thanks

I can also confirm that I’m still facing the exact same issue, with no variation.

The output isn’t printing any kind of message so I’d assume it doesn’t have to do anything with unions.

Update - I deleted every single union in the game and it had no effect at all.

Update - There was a script breaking the game.

I suggest you to use a computer with I7 and 16GB ram and worked, I had an issue when doing it with my I5 and 8GB ram.

I can as well confirm the exact same issue, it happens on every game for me (even baseplate), it did start happening recently as well

1 Like

Hi all, a number of changes have gone in since this was reported, can anyone please respond if they are still experiencing this? (Repros on Baseplate are most appreciated if this is happening, also sending logs is extremely helpful).

1 Like

Suddenly started getting issues with server save errors in team create, as well as not being able to commit scripts. Started happening roughly 30 minutes ago. Unsure if its related or not.

Yes, this issue is still around - I believe gigagiele has a repro file of my original place where the freezing is most prevalent. We have since split our original place file into many smaller places, which now get a much shorter and manageable version of the freeze on the larger of them (before splitting this would be about 5 minutes or so, afterwards on the split places it is only about 30 seconds or so), and the smaller places don’t freeze at all / only for a second or two.

I imagine a baseplate repro would be difficult to make as it seems to be directly tied to the size of the place.

3 Likes

Yes, this issue still occurs in the same way for me, no variation whatsoever. I’m trying to publish my place as we speak and have to wait about 5 minutes before the window unfreezes.

I should clarify, though, that this issue only occurs with very big projects (lots of parts). However, this didn’t happen before September of last year, so I’d say it’s something worth fixing.

Hi, do you have an estimated rule of thumb on how you split your places? For sure its going to take longer for larger places, and we’ve put some changes in for that work flow but its obviously “not there yet” if this is still happening.

Thanks - can you indicate if this is under Team Create, cloud save, local file etc?