Studio freezes when selecting instances, microprofiler reports UpdateToolbars and LegacyLock

Almost consistently when I use Studio during medium to large intervals of time (30 minutes or more), lag spikes start happening when I change the current selection with the default built-in tools or with the explorer, reaching frame times of 300ms+ on the worst occasions. When checking the microprofiler, labels “UpdateToolbars” and “LegacyLock” are usually present and take up a good portion of the frame time near these spikes.

From preliminary testing, it seems that repeatedly playing and stopping the game worsens the issue the more times these actions are done, and having multiple plugins enabled also enlarges the spikes by at least roughly 50%.

Bigger spikes happen when the script editor is open and the selection changes.

Screenshot of one of the worst spikes I’ve recorded, with some of my plugins enabled:

This does not seem to be an old issue as I do not recall it happening until a few weeks(?) ago, but I could be completely wrong.

Note: This bug seems unrelated to the new Lua draggers as testing with the old C++ draggers gave similar results.

Microprofiler dump:

microprofile-20200731-234919.html (8.2 MB)
This dump was taken with no plugins enabled. Two of the spikes are from me entering and leaving the script editor.

Reproduction Steps:

1. Toggle the beta features listed above on
  2. Open a new baseplate and insert a script with a reasonable amount of code
  3. Run the place with the run button and stop it shortly after; repeat ten times
  4. Open the script for editing
  5. While in the script editor tag, select and deselect random instances from the explorer
  6. Close the script editor and select/deselect random instances from the workspace with the studio tools

Extra Information:

Enabled Beta Features:

• Breakpoint Replication Beta
  • TerrainTools: ConvertTool Beta
  • Lua Draggers Beta (see above)
  • Enable New Lua Script Analysis
  • Rich Text Beta
  • Safe Studio Updates
  • Advanced SurfaceAppearance Textures
  • Game Management

System specifications:

• Processor: Intel Core i5-5200U @ 2.2GHz
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 920M (2 GB VRAM, 4 GB shared) (driver version 25.21.14.2531)
  • RAM: 8 GB
6 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

3 Likes

I am in the process of checking over bug reports and following up on some bugs that haven’t received any activity in a while.
Is this issue still occurring or can you confirm that this bug has been resolved?

This issue is still occurring as of Jan 11th 2020. It generally happens when I change selection using the explorer while on a script editor tab. The major label on the microprofiler remains UpdateToolbars.

did you mean 2021 or its been happening since jan 2020? I asked because our engineers cannot reproduce this bug. IF there are steps missing or if there are steps that need to be updated please up date them and i will pass it on.

Oops, I meant Jan 2021, my bad :sweat_smile:

It is definitely still happening for me (it was happening to me 3 hours ago) and it has gotten slightly worse from when I reported this bug. My workflow is affected by this. I reinstalled Windows in the interval between me reporting this bug and today and the bug remained.

I followed my original reproduction steps and they don’t work anymore, but the same issue still appears after some time of regular continuous studio usage (by doing actions like opening and closing scripts, loading places, running the game and stopping, among other things). It is triggered whenever I switch focus from the script editor to the explorer, and when I open or close a script.

The longer I use studio normally the longer the freezes get, and the only way to make the freezes stop is by restarting it.

It happens regardless of plugins or beta features being enabled or disabled.

Here’s a microprofiler dump of me opening and closing a script with the issue happening. The two larger spikes signal the freezes. The dominating label is still UpdateToolbars.
microprofile-20210111-195500.zip (306.9 KB)

I can’t give any more information than this right now because I don’t know when exactly the issue begins, but I will try to make a list of reproduction steps over the next few days and post it on this thread.

Thanks for the update. I will pass it on to the engineers. When i get an update i will let you know.

1 Like

This issue is still occurring for me, didn’t realize that other people were experiencing this same thing. Sorry for the bump. Just wondering if anyone else now is still experiencing it now a while later.

I also have all beta features turned on.

Video of bug

System specs:
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
RAM: 16.0 GB

Bumping this, this started happening with me recently too. When dragging objects with any of the tools, I get frame drops which worsen over time. After about 30 minutes in my place, the framerate drops to 30 fps when dragging a single model with 8 parts in it.

After checking the microprofiler, “UpdateToolbars” takes the majority of the time. I have not yet tried disabling and plugins or beta features, but this did start happening about a week ago.