Studio freezes when using command bar

I pasted a very large (13 MB) file into the command bar to try to write to the source of a script. Ever since then, typing anything in the command bar freezes studio forcing me to close it or wait a long time. I cannot send the file because it is too big but I just wrote something like:

game.ReplicatedStorage.Module.Source = (very big string)

It happens on every place I open studio in and still happens if I reinstall studio.

System Information: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-1195G7 @ 2.90GHz, 16.0 GB, Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics

Beta Features: All of them

5 Likes

Can you check if there are over 200,000 characters in this file? If so, maybe it crashes because it bypasses the string character limit.

4 Likes

Yes there were, I believe that’s why running the script didn’t actually update the source of the module. But I’m not even running that command anymore, I think it is just freezing my studio because the giant string is being cached or something like that.

did you try to reinstall the studio?
try to delete it from the appdata and reinstall it

1 Like

Just tried it didn’t seem to fix it. Maybe its linked to my roblox account?

1 Like

i don’t think so
anyway if you really need a cmdbar you can use this plugin :
InCommand - versatile, adaptable command execution
sadly this plugin is not for free
it cost : 125 R$

2 Likes

Nevermind I also have the same issue when I switch to other accounts.

1 Like

Thank you I’ll buy that plugin.

1 Like

try to press Windows + R
and then type appdata
then open this folder

and then try to find Roblox

Delete it and then reinstall it i think this will fix it

1 Like

I tried this before it didn’t work for some reason.

The command line history is stored in the Windows registry AFAIK under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Roblox\Roblox Studio as rbxCommandHistory which you should clear out.

Also, please note that manipulating large Scripts will slow down Studio, this is a known issues that we’re continuing to work on.

4 Likes

To anyone who doesn’t know how to do it, I’ve taken some screenshots to help you out.

• First things first, open the Run command by pressing Windows Key + R :

• Type regedit and then press OK

• Open up HKEY_CURRENT_USER

• Open up Software

• Open up Roblox and then select RobloxStudio and then find rbxCommandHistory double click on it

• Clear everything inside it and then click ‘OK.’ That’s it.

• I hope this helps you out. :grinning:
3 Likes

I think the issue is that it’s not crashing, but it takes an absurdly long amount of time to load it into memory so that the application stops responding. Check the memory usage. If it kesps increasing, this may very well be the case. It may be interpreting the string as well, which could be a lengthly process.

1 Like

@reddiamondshield - may I ask you about the use case here? What is your workflow that requires you to past 13MB into the command line?

I was just trying to test a script I found online. It was a physics engine that was compiled to lua and it was all in one file.

1 Like

Hi @reddiamondshield

Thank you for the info; I have filed a ticket for this, likely we’ll limit the amount of data in the command line to make sure this doesn’t happen again.

Instead I recommend you create the file in an external text editor and use the right click / Insert from file… on the Workspace, then select *.lua and add large files that way. I just tested and was able to Insert a multi MB file into a locally saved place.

The caveat is that large files like this might break language features like syntax highlighting and also TeamCreate so they are not recommended.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.