Studio Frequently Crashing (way more than usual)

Over the past ~3 days, I’ve had about 3-5 instances of Studio crashing with the below error message. I would normally see a maximum of one of these crashes in a week, so it’s definitely happening more than usual. Also it’s weird that there’s no apparent direct cause of this (like accidentally press crtl+A might do).

This is not easily reproducible. Most recently it happened to my when I tried to spawn a car. The time before that, it happened when I did a play test; the time before, it happened simply while I was moving my camera around in studio. I believe this has happened in multiple places of mine (one published, one local). I’ll try to keep track of when this occurs now that it’s a problem.

EDIT: Here is a link to my private dm

2 Likes

I think I’m having a problem like this. My studio is crashing when doing basic tasks like Parenting a large map from workspace into Server Storage which has never happened before. I’ve tried 3 times and my studio keeps going unresponsive.

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

Hi, thanks for the logs. I do see 13 crashes over the past few weeks from your machine so for sure a problem. This is an issue we’re seeing a bunch of right now and attempting to fix. Are you actively using memory profiling by any chance?

No, im not sure what memory profiling is really.

Ok, thanks. Just trying to identify if there’s any pattern which causes you to hit this crash more often. Are there any plugins you make use of a lot?

Actually, someone here might have tracked this down. Its for sure possible certain features might trigger this more often, but its going to be pretty random. I’ll update as we get closer to a fix.

Thanks! I use plugins, but there’s not any one I use a lot really. Let me know if anything else I can do to help.

I noticed it’s almost always happening when I’m editing a large game, and specifically when I play test (but not when I client-server test). It doesn’t happen when I’m working on stuff in small place files (like building a single feature on a empty baseplate).

Can you say anything about which features in particular? I crash all the time lately, often lots of times in a row. Sometimes just from loading the place, other times 5-60 seconds after clicking play, also had one when trying to make a union. My crash dumps are usually rather short and mostly referencing something about the Request-URI being too large when trying to upload the crash dump. It’s hard to get any work done so it’d be great if there’s something I can change to temporarily fix this.

0.624.0.6240521_20240509T134952Z_Studio_6E6DF_last.log (9.0 KB)

0.624.0.6240521_20240510T053822Z_Studio_4F1A3_last.log (9.1 KB)

0.624.0.6240521_20240510T062730Z_Studio_C21E3_last.log (6.5 KB)

Do you have any logs that aren’t from a crash? Like a more normal run? You can DM them too me. Not much I can do with those partial logs.

1 Like

Thanks for the additional logs. The “good” news is that all the recent crashes you’ve experienced (I count 24 in the last week!) are the same issue as the OP, so should be fixed in the same patch. We will expedite the patch as soon as its ready. Once I know more I’ll post back with details, including any particular work arounds.

1 Like

Cheers, that’s very good news. Thanks for the super quick response.

I count 24 in the last week!

I count over 24 each day :sob: They probably haven’t all been uploaded/registered.

Hi, we’d like to test a potential fix for this one, but don’t have a reliable repro method for it. Is there a particular place where this happens more often? Are there specific plugins you use?

Yeah, it definitely happens more often on this universe ID “5087659472”, place id “14761536294”. I’ve tried with all plugins disabled and it still happened at the same rate.

Can you directly access that place or do you need me to send a place file?

By any chance is SignalBehavior in workspace set to AncestryDeferred? I’ve have a similar issue when reparenting instances.

AncestryDeferredCrash.rbxl (54.3 KB)