Studio incredibly laggy even with empty baseplate on 4k display, high end system used

Reproduction Steps
Current system specs:

RTX 3080 TI GPU and an intel i7 7700k CPU

Plugged into an lg c1 oled monitor, which uses hdr and gsync, running at 120hz refresh rate.

Using an HDMI 2.1 connection.

It seems using GSYNC with “Fullscreen and Windowed mode” enabled causes the issue.

Expected Behavior
Everything worked just fine on my 1440p monitor with the same system, expected things to continue to run smoothly.

Actual Behavior
Extreme lagginess with all plugins turned off, studio editing quality turned to 1, working on an empty baseplate, and even with setting my resolution down to 1080p.

Writing code into a script is near impossible, everything has a few second delay from lagging before it registers in script. When right clicking to turn the camera, turning the camera is very buggy too.

Workaround
EDIT: After some research I found out using gsync with the “fullscreen and windowed” option can lag out studio. Switching that to “fullscreen only” was the fix - albeit a workaround.

I tried lowering the resolution as I thought that would have to be the cause - But even after lowering the resolution to 1080p the problem remains. When I plug the system into my 1440p monitor (which is 144hz and uses freesync, has no hdr) everything starts running smoothly again. I do not have any issues with lag on any other program on the new display.

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Performance
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2021-10-11 17:10:00 (-04:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2021-10-13 00:10:00 (-04:00)

4 Likes

I have a similar issue but not as bad as yours. Whenever I use right click to rotate my camera it “snaps” / my frames spike for a very very short time and it makes my camera snap really fast in the direction im rotating it.

^^This is how my micro profiler looks like after spinning for 2-3 seconds in an empty baseplate.

Im using 2 FHD TVs as monitors, both 60hz
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU: AMD RX590
RAM: 16gb 30000mhz

All plugins are turned off and i reset my studio settings.

Thank you for reporting the issue and sorry for the trouble.

Today we have enabled a related fix in Studio. Can you please verify if it results in some improvements? Thanks.

1 Like

I also have a similar spec, but it only start to lag when I am editing multiple complex blender animation. Overtime, the studio becomes slower and laggier.

Happening to me on my Windows 11 PC. FPS is around 25-30fps even on an empty baseplate.

I’m fine on studio, but I had an issue with this on my later computer. Sure it was bad, but all of the sudden one day it just decided to lag and drop to 30 fps for no reason. I had no experience with this happening before that either, it was always 60.

Hi cleaning up old reports - as noted here we believe this to be repaired - if you are still experiencing issues please add on to that thread so we can take a look.