Studio is Ending Support for Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)

@TheGoodAsian

The Client and Studio are treated separately. If there was ever to be a change here, an announcement would be made.

4 Likes

When will ROBLOX no longer end support for older OS-es since there aren’t major differences, I don’t know. To be honest, is better to implement the new primary framework Qt into the Yosemite instead of ending support on that system completely. Many people may have older Macs of which specs are pretty great, but running older systems as of these are the last ones. Why would they buy new device as long as they are still running great? Why would most of people want to use Bootcamp? What if their Macs has Intel HD 2000, 2500 or even 3000, like on my laptop? Let’s be serious, ending support on every unsupported OS doesn’t mean ROBLOX will be protected from exploits. Even on the newer systems, there are exploiters, but patching ROBLOX weekly and making sure our games are not vulnerable to the hacks can solve all of that. Meanwhile, we can still evolve and add new stuff in order to make ROBLOX better and better.

3 Likes

Any chance you can tell us what version of Qt Studio will be moving to? I hope the latest version.

1 Like

Well, rip mac users. Thank you for making the studio!

2 Likes

At least you aren’t dropping 10.11 yet, my friend who wants to build games has an old iMac with 10.6.8 that can be upgraded to 10.11. (no he cannot upgrade)

1 Like

I’m just hoping they don’t cut 10.11 support any time soon. cuts out second-hand macs for some of the crowd who likes to use apple products on a budget.

1 Like

Totally understand - I had a Mac running that until quite recently - it was old and slow - people Gould upgrade to newer macOS as it faster and more reliable

2 Likes

My days of developing are over, although it was really fun, thank you Roblox for allowing us to make games for FREE. Anyways, this is going to allow me to focus on something I’ve been hoping to do. MUSIC COMPOSING! And I do understand why ending support on OS X 10.10 needs to be done, and I wish every developer good luck in the future!

1 Like

it’s not over, you can still upgrade, get a new mac, or just switch to windows 10.

2 Likes

Depending on your computer, you can still upgrade. Here you can check if your computer supports OS Catalina and most do, even some from 2012. I use one from early 2015 and I just finished upgrading so it’s not all over if you don’t want to or can’t invest in a new laptop. Other than that, good luck with music composing!

2 Likes

Every Mac that officially supports Yosemite can be upgraded free of charge to at least 10.11 El Capitan officially, and they can all be patched to run 10.15 Catalina unofficially with little to no usability issues. All of them.

2 Likes

Looking at the life cycle of MacOS through the Wikipedia page, it seems like Yosemite had a run of about 2-3 years before being no longer supported by Apple. Roblox is dropping support for Yosemite later this year, making its run about 5 years on Roblox’s end.

Judging from that, I’d say you probably have about 3 years (if not more) before Roblox drops support for Mojave, assuming they continue the cycle of updating their engine and their minimum OS requirements. Hopefully by that time (~3 new releases of MacOS) you’ll find a more updated version of MacOS that fits you better.

1 Like

I’m just worried because what next. I am on a 5 year old MacBook from El Capitan. I don’t have enough money to buy a better computer, and my parents wouldn’t let me anyway, so if they keep removing these, I won’t be able to develop. I know most of you probably have windows and top of the long computers, but I just hope they don’t remove more old computers any time soon.

4 Likes

When will studio stop supporting 10.11, 10.12, and 10.13? I use a 2011 iMac and the best OS it can use is High Sierra.

I’m in the same boat as @confusionmaster and probably many others. Either they don’t have enough money or permission to buy a new computer.

I understand that it’s not a big issue but this may stop less fortunate people from developing on Roblox.

4 Likes

Apple plans on ending support for high sierra in 2022. So studio might stop supporting HS then.

2 Likes

To be honest, is better to implement the new primary framework Qt into the Yosemite instead of ending support on that system completely.

That’s— not the issue here. The issue is that backwards compatibility for OSes that are too old is in many cases just flat out impossible when adding support for new features. We can’t “add new stuff and make Roblox better and better” while supporting old OSes precisely because they may not actually have the framework to support those new features and will hold back development.

This also isn’t about exploit protection; exploit prevention wasn’t even mentioned as a reason for ending support.

Look, I know it sucks for anyone still stuck with old computers and I really am sorry to hear about those in the thread that do happen to be affected by this, but don’t make this out to be something it isn’t.

2 Likes

This is a good decision. I am a MacOS user myself and I actually don’t know anyone who is using that old version.

2 Likes

Remember remember, the first of November

5 Likes

OS X Yosemite came out in 2014.

Yeees- Windows 10 gamers, rise up.

3 Likes