Studio is much slower to load assets than live game

When you run your game in roblox studio, the time spent loading assets is considerably longer than when you run in the live game client.

In my test cases, I noticed for the Modern City template with disabled Streaming was 3 seconds for live, and over 14 seconds for inside studio.

This affects all projects that use some kind of loading screen and resource monitoring to know when the game is “visually acceptable” to spawn the player in. Using loading screens is a slightly controversial topic, however I still don’t see why there should be such a large difference in time taken to load assets in studio versus inside the live game client.

Multiple runs did not make studio finish loading faster.
Multiple runs somehow made the live project load even faster >_<’

I created a demo of this effect using the roblox Modern City template project.

The live project:

Studio:

The test code:

A test place:
SlowLoads.rbxl (9.7 MB)

Changes made:

• Streaming Enabled = off
  • Deleted the test area
  • Added a test script to show how many frames were spent with assets to load, and how long it takes to reach that point

Expected behavior

I expect roblox studio to load assets at least as fast as the production game.

This would massively increase my (and many other developers) iteration speeds.

11 Likes

The production game runs on an actual game server with its own powerful (somewhat) hardware. Studio, on the other hand, is completely reliant on your own device to emulate both the server and client, thus the extra delay. I believe this is the case and not a bug.

1 Like

Hi we have changes coming to improve emulator performance, but by design Studio includes capabilities like debugger and plugin integration that have higher overhead than a live game. Thanks again!

Hmm. That is really surprising if that’s really why it takes 5x longer to load a mesh asset in studio than in a live game. I hope the improvements that are coming can address it :slight_smile:

Just to be clear, my test and bug report was about asset loading only. I know the plugin system and debugger makes scripts slower, but this seems unusual that it would be related to a test designed to isolate how long individual assets take to load.

3 Likes

My assets in studio have been taking a monstrously long time to load, everything from default avatar faces to the mouse cursor, custom meshes to terrain voxels. It was not always like this, it’s as if I’m running my internet through 5 layers of VPNs. My spawned character will appear grey for a good 15 seconds before animations and clothing textures load. Worst part is it doesn’t cache, so every time I hit ‘test play’ it goes through this painfully slow loading process. I believe this only began occurring within the last month or two.

3 Likes

Exactly! And loading the game isn’t like this at all.

One of my biggest pain points right now

Also - starting a server in studio outright fails to load 75% of the assets and is unusable, as of at least last week.

2 Likes

This also happens with me too frequently, My guess is that the route cause is just roblox’s engine and servers not ever really being that great. After all roblox is notorious for that.

I’m noticing this like crazy for some reason now. Game speed is loading like soo slow.

It takes me about 40s to load a Play Solo session for Swordburst 3, it’s brutal and makes me less likely to test. It’s like dredging through mud trying to develop anything.

About ~5s of this video is because it’s waiting for my datastore, however you notice once I spawn in it’s loading the textures and meshes for everything again. Why?

0:28 - Watch meshes pop in

1 Like

Video of me loading an empty baseplate and attempting to playtest. This is done with no intensive apps open in the background, no updates/downloads are taking place either. My wifi is in good condition as it works normal in other games. This seems to only be a problem with studio, not the client. Only been happening since like last week, was fine before.

Roblox is facing no outages during the time this video was recorded.
(please watch patiently.)
I have tried reinstalling but no avail.

When it comes to testing games, I always use Team Test. It loads on an actual Roblox Server and gives you the ability to better simulate what a player will encounter during real game play. It’s true that trying to play-test a game locally is neigh impossible once your game gets big enough. I found that out long ago :worried: and Team Test was the solution for play testing at least. The only solution to speed up Studio editing is optimizing how the map and assets are used, but that has to be done early in development or you will reach a point of no return. :melting_face:

1 Like

Has this patch been deployed?
If it’s Improvements to Play Solo [Full Release] then I have to say that’s a disappointment…

The play test function is near useless if it takes 30+ seconds on somewhat large places. We might as well publish to roblox, then play from the website. I think that could be just as fast in some cases.

I don’t understand why a critical feature: testing the game, has such a major flaw.
Please look into this.

1 Like

Currently Studio has different asset caching behavior than the client. It prefers to ensure that you’re always playtesting with the most up to date version of assets, whereas the client is more lenient with its cache. That’s likely the cause of the difference in asset load times. To be clear, Studio isn’t (or at least shouldn’t be and hasn’t been in my testing) waiting on these assets to load before play-test becomes active.

@MrChickenRocket
Is this still reproducing for you? When I run your .rbxl locally I get this output:

12:02:49.689  Frames with resources to load: 1  -  Client - LocalScript:11
  12:02:49.855  Frames with resources to load: 2  -  Client - LocalScript:11
  12:02:49.889  Frames with resources to load: 3  -  Client - LocalScript:11
  12:02:49.926  Frames with resources to load: 4  -  Client - LocalScript:11
  12:02:49.963  Frames with resources to load: 5  -  Client - LocalScript:11
  12:02:50.006  Frames with resources to load: 6  -  Client - LocalScript:11
  12:02:51.021  Total time 3.25  seconds  -  Client - LocalScript:20

Whereas in-game I get a Total time of 5.1 seconds and far more frames with resources to load.

It appears it has been fixed.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.