Studio is not saving any preferences/layout/clearing plugins/not saving login information

Good news and bad news:

Good news is, out of nowhere, ROBLOX decided to pop onto the Registry Editor list with the rest of my software.

Bad news is, I have to head to my night job soon. Hopefully while I’m running stage lights you two will have figured out a solution. Good luck and thanks!

1 Like

I seem to be having this problem as well. When studio is opened, the settings folder (%LOCALAPPDATA%\Roblox) is cleared, which removes settings, installed plugins, and anything else that happens to be there. The only exception appears to be the ClientSettings and logs folders, but that’s likely because the studio is currently reading from them, which prevents them from being deleted.

3 Likes

We have disabled the flag that is likely causing this issue while we investigate. Please let us know whether or not the issue is still occurring.

4 Likes

I just checked, I DO now stay logged in, and studio theme has stuck, although Saving files has some issues (which I hadn’t tested before the flag change). I opened a new place, saved it with a name, but when I closed studio and came back the place was NOT saved with the name I gave it, instead being named “Baseplate”. I don’t know if any data was actually lost because it was literally just an empty baseplate when I saved it but I can’t consistently get this to occur for repro. I am pretty concerned now about losing actual work.

1 Like

I actually got a message on the main site from a non devforum user who’s having the same issue. Apparently this issue was in fact causing file saving to fail (like I detailed above) for him too. I guess restarting studio after the flag was disabled fixed it for me though since it hasn’t occurred since.

1 Like

Disabling the flag did the trick. Thanks!

1 Like

Studio just crashed when I hit to test on a script that wasn’t causing me issues the last many times and now this is happening to me again. All plugins are gone, studio in light theme, script editor colors gone, etc

2 Likes

Yeah I’m still losing all my preferences and plugins and stuff. Logging in isn’t an issue anymore but everything else is happening again and it’s extremely annoying

Edit:
Yeah no it’s not keeping me logged in either

1 Like

We have also disabled this flag for Client. We know the cause of the issue and will have a fix in soon. Please let us know if you are still seeing issues. Thanks for your patience!

2 Likes

Yay!!! Thank you, it’s very appreciated

1 Like

This issue has cropped up again. I have tried reinstalling Roblox completely to no avail, although I’m not sure if actually got all the bits and pieces that Roblox leaves behind removed. I backed up Windows registry entries, Appdata folders, the “ROBLOX” folder in documents, etc. I have yet to find the place where Roblox actually stores my layout.

This is infuriating, especially with how opaque the technical details are. Which flag was toggled? As a user, I’m absolutely powerless to diagnose the problem myself.

I just unflagged this from being solved to reflect your response

When this happened with me, I believe I was told the issue stems from where your Roblox Directory is installed, which is determined by the admin status of your windows account I guess? I really hope this doesn’t begin to happen to me again.

Just curious, do you know where your roblox installation is located?

Default location (appdata). Using administrator user, too. I’d prefer it if I could install Roblox in Program Files since I have multiple Windows user accounts that use studio, but it’s not critical. I just want things to work with default settings (save for dark theme, that is a must-have).

Yeah so that’s exactly the issue, Mine was in appdata as well because I installed it on an admin account. It seems like most people have their installations in program files which is potentially why this problem doesn’t seem to effect a ton of people?

It’s unfortunate though that there’s no way to select our own directory while installing.

Last time it was found that joining games on the roblox client was what was triggering everything to be reset, you should test that and see if it’s still the case

Can confirm I’m having the same exact issue again. My window layouts will not save, regardless of how many times I move them back into place. Noticed the issues last night before the maintenance.

1 Like

Please let us know if you are still seeing this issue as of today.

This started happening to me for the first time after I reset my PC today. I tried all the steps you gave above and none helped and I also tried uninstalling and re-downloading multiple times and still nothing fixed

I had the same issue but I fixed by changing my profile folder name because it had some non normal characters (“á” in specific) so I removed the character and it fixed! Hope this works for other people.

3 Likes

I have this problem now, but I’m running on Mac OS Silicon. Not sure how to fix this.

Hi, in the past this has occurred when the application is run in a different manner than usual. Could you be running this in an odd location (say from a disk image, desktop, etc) and not applications folder? Are there odd permissions in terms of how the program is run (installed with a different user, run with another user, etc).

Logs from multiple runs would help here. (You can DM to me)