Studio loses connection with server when inserting certain objects from file/other world

Issue:
When I insert new models, my server connection gets messed up. Wifi is great. 335mbps download speed, 11.6mbps upload. It stays in this state for over 20-30 minutes and I am unable to save the game.

I also can confirm it is hogging by upload bandwidth during this disconnection time, almost like it is constantly trying to ping the server but failing, so it keeps looping the upload. My upload speeds plummet to 0.31mbps during the entire 20-30 minute upload attempt.

Before inserting model:

After inserting model (from file or copy/paste):

Team create is on and I have been having this issue on and off for the past few days on different places. It seems to be certain models in particular.

This one (uploaded from file) uploads just fine, and does not crash the connection between the client and server.

This one (also uploaded from file) corrupts the upload and crashes server connectivity. I would also like to note that the building labeled “OLD” was from the previous insert attempt, at which it failed to connect to the server, and broke half way through the upload. So only half of it was saved. Hopefully this can be traced back to a corrupt union or something. But right now I don’t believe the server connection is supposed to crash like this. The “NEW” one is the one I just inserted and is loaded in on the client perfectly fine, but as you can see the server connection is broken.

Replication Steps:

1. Open studio, old or new baseplate.
  2. Enable team create
  3. Insert models into studio
  4. Studio breaks connection with the server when trying to insert certain files (uploading from file or pasting from another studio tab)

Files:
Here are various files that I tried. Building #2 breaks for me trying to upload, #3 and #7 work fine.
Strip_Mall_Building_2.rbxm (960.8 KB)
Strip_Mall_Building_3.rbxm (316.7 KB)
Strip_Mall_Building_7.rbxm (31.0 KB)

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Network Connection Crashing
Impact: High Impact
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: <5 days ago (unsure of exact time and date)

23 Likes

We’ve filled a ticket into our internal database for this issue, and will come back as soon as we have updates!

Thanks for flagging!

6 Likes

Hmm, I just tried to reproduce this with model #2 and didn’t have any issues.

I see its made up of four UnionOperations. Could you try inserting each UnionOperation individually? Most likely this is a network throughput issue, but this should help us verify

1 Like

Hi,

This seems to be the main union causing issues, as it crashed my server connection for several seconds, from copy/pasting it from another baseplate.

Strip_Mall_Building_2_CorruptUnion.rbxm (726.4 KB)

I am having the exact same issue but while creating complex unions. My studio connection is unstable immediately after the union is created, and my ping on my network spikes to 1000ms. It stays this way until the upload fails, OR if I run a network speed test (like ookla) and it tests my upload speed it instantly returns my ping to normal.

4 Likes

Upvoting this! Me and a few other developers have all been experiencing this issue. I don’t think it has anything to do with the union but something on Roblox’s server side.

Head into to toolbox and try dragging one of the Synty asset packs into the workplace you’re more than likely going to trigger the connectivity issue as well. I also submitted a bug report. It looks like we’re all running into a similar issue.

Definitely started over the past week or so but it’s been really prevalent the last couple of days.

3 Likes

Having the same issue, happens only with 2 Worlds so far and it only happens in Team Create sessions. I noticed it often starts (for me at least) when I insert objects that require complex loading (Unions, Meshes, Scripts, multiple items)

Started around last week and it’s been increasing in frequency

2 Likes

Hi, is there any way this can be pushed higher on the priority list? It seems to be happening to others too and its almost impossible to work with mildly complex unions at this point. I lose a lot of work.

Much thanks and appreciation!

3 Likes

Hey! I’m having the same issue with any experience I join and when I insert a model of mine from toolbox or Paste in from another experience it just doesn’t load and slows down my entire WIFI Connection and anyone that’s connected are just having their WIFI Down aswell until I force quit Roblox studio because it takes too long to load the model in studio.

1 Like

For anyone having this issue, are there specific instance types that seem to cause more issues that others? Dan had mentioned they were having an issue with Unions. Is everyone else only seeing issues with Unions? Are you ever seeing issues while playing the game, or just in Studio?

1 Like

RobloxStudioBeta_Xwf90YDKt5
Been having the same issue today while I was developing on my own game, except I’m unsure of what the cause of it is, unless it’s just an issue on ROBLOX’s side.

This comment here specified unions, meshes, scripts, etc

I would also like to add, it is no longer reconnecting after 20-30 minutes. Now it doesn’t reconnect AT ALL, even after waiting over 12 hours trying to upload the union. During the entire time 99% of my wifi upload bandwidth is used by Roblox. I cannot send photos on my phone or anything when it is connected to the same network as studio. It is not until I close out of roblox studio that my wifi returns to normal, confirming it is Roblox causing it.

3 Likes

I am experiencing this issue mostly when inserting files from my pc into studio. I have been unable to fix it, its causing major issues and delays for me. It overloads my internet also making it impossible to use discord or chrome unless I close out of studio.

1 Like

This needs to be resolved ASAP

1 Like

This has been happening to me just passively existing in a regular place (non-TC) and team-created places. The frequency is inconsistent and the timing is also random; this also has been affecting me in-game and causing me to disconnect randomly.

As said before, my internet is doing perfectly fine. I’m on a call with friends with no stuttering, and I’ve got other stuff running in the background- no interruptions.

1 Like

this is the exact same that is happening to me.

1 Like

The issue itself is sporadic and happens for no real reason. You could idle within Studio and get disconnected, or you could be playtesting and it’ll disconnect you as well. I’ve been experiencing this in-game as well; not exclusive to studio.

This is extremely disruptive for productive workflow and also hurts player retention.

2 Likes

This is a critical issue that needs to be addressed asap. Its been preventing any team collaborations for the past 3 weeks.

1 Like

I have issues with mesh parts and surface appearance. Specifically using to Roblox Forest Assets:

These types of instances have been causing network issues.

1 Like

Oh goodie, glad I am not the only person having this issue. Been having this issue for 3 weeks now…

1 Like