Studio NEEDS to warn when the site is inaccessible or offline

Or like, at least disable testing since Studio can’t access online assets.

Scenario: I’m just play-testing like usual, then during one Play Solo my Studio freezes up. So I’m thinking, “I suppose it’s just the Terrain causing a lag spike again.” And I waited for a good 10 minutes and ended up force-quitting Studio. I re-opened Studio and lo and behold, the site is down for maintenance. Yeah I save very often, most times after I change anything important, but I don’t know what I’ve lost and have to wait hours to fix anything.

Please, seriously, add some kind of check-warning system so I don’t try to play-test my game when the site is taken offline for maintenance and Studio freezes and loses any unsaved progress. Have the program check the site’s status before making it create a test run that never loads.

33 Likes

Just happened to me too. Freezing as a result of lost internet connection is unacceptable.

Honestly it’s kind of mind blowing that studio doesn’t work without internet. If I told someone I make games on a platform that randomly shuts off its site, games, and developer tools without warning and without any downtime estimation they’d look at me like I was crazy.

30 Likes

For what it’s worth, studio always auto-saves when you run your game in any way. If you use Run, Play Solo or Play Here, the game is auto-saved in the usual place, and if you start a server or use the old Play Solo (the one that opens a new window) the game is saved to %appdata%/../Local/Roblox/ (as server.rbxl and visit.rbxl respectively).

That’s not to say studio shouldn’t be able to run offline or at least warn you about it, just that you should only be losing progress like that if you were working on your game while it was running.

…unless, for some reason, the auto-saves don’t work when studio is running offline. :fearful:

2 Likes