Studio not caching any assets between playtests, causing longer load times than necessary

Studio is apparently failing to locally cache any assets between playtests, leading to an annoying buffer of time where I have to wait for Studio to fetch everything again every single time I playtest. I’ve tried to clear the temp folder, reinstall Studio, switch out beta features etc. to no avail. Everyone on our dev team also experiences this issue.

Here’s a video showing this. Notice all of the requests to ContentProvider for every single asset in the game, despite me having just loaded them last playtest:

In the above video, it does say there’s an update available; I updated after recording it just in case. Still happens.

I’m using gigabit Ethernet and Studio is installed on a Samsung 980 Pro 2tb NVMe SSD.
I’ve experienced this bug as long as I can remember, but never thought about it until recently. It makes the Faster Play Solo beta feature somewhat useless if the gains are just nullified by not loading any assets in time.

My enabled beta features:

EditableImage
Face Capture
Faster Play Solo
Live Animation Creator
Luau Native Code
Material Generator
Notched Screen Support
Notification Overhaul
Updated Roblox Controls
Upgrade Shorelines

I don’t really know how I could provide a repro showing this due to the nature of the bug, but if any staff cannot reproduce this, DM me and I can temporarily invite you to the team-create for our game.

Expected behavior

I’d expect Studio to cache these assets locally, much like how the client does.

2 Likes

Bumping this - I was wondering why Studio was taking so long to load meshes, images etc. when playtesting and this is exactly why.

Also chewing up heaps of my mobile data unnecessarily when I’m using it.

This happens with me too, every time I playtest about 300 assets need to be reloaded.

Honestly, this doesn’t affect how fast I’m able to test, but when I want to visually see something in playtest, I’ll have to wait the 3-4 minutes it takes for all the assets to load in.

This isn’t an issue when playing the live game at all, and the entire game loads about 5x faster after the default Roblox loading screen disappears.

1 Like

Is this a new regression, or has this been going on for a while?

This has been happening for what feels like a whole year to be honest. I can’t remember a time specifically when it did cache assets between playtests.

This is not true. It began happening a month or two ago, so I do believe it’s a regression. @swmaniac

Really? Well my apologizes then, I could of sworn I remembered it happening a long time ago.

1 Like

This has been happening for a while.