Studio on mac tremendously laggy

In a baseplate, Perform seems to be taking up a lot of time in the microprofiler. I am noticing an average of 45fps while flying around the empty default Studio baseplate.

Studio has only been performing like this since I have updated to Big Sur, which was 2-3 months ago. Previously only the script editor had performance issues, but now I’m not able to get any work done on this computer while using macOS because all of Studio now does as well.

microprofile-20210208-195257.html (1.4 MB)

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 7.54.23 PM

1 Like

I meant macOS, I just updated the original post. Thanks for pointing that out!

1 Like

Background information: My brother and I use MacBook Pros, I have the 2018 model and he has the 2019 model. I use macOS Mojave (don’t want my computer to look like an iPad now, but probably will update later) while he uses the newer Big Sur. My brother suffered from the description of this post, extreme lag doing anything, 15 second plus typing, and an average of 2-5 minutes to open studio. Interestingly enough, studio also used 3-4 GBs of memory while doing absolutely nothing on the home page.

Note: I fixed the issue while writing this (long-ish) post. For the old post, open the box.

Old Post before fixing the issue

Similar to Usering, he runs Big Sur on a 2019 MacBook Pro. At the moment, I run Mojave on a 2018 MacBook Pro (With studio performance in terms of delay and lag at least about 20 times better than the 2019 MacBook Pro… EDIT: See reply below, and please do not quote me as this may be a slight exaggeration though it has significant delay). While we are both fortunate to have recent computers with good specs, the fact that they perform worse in studio (specifically while typing in the scripting editor) than some older windows computers is quite unfortunate. With regards to what I have tried to improve his situation, here is what I have done:

• Restarted the Computer, Updated to the Latest OS version.
  • Changed color profile to sRGB (as well as a few of the others, Adobe RGB, etc) to no avail.
  • Re-installed Roblox Studio a couple times.
  • With regards to scripting, changing the window position and size of the scripting editor did not help.

I have really tried all the reasonable solutions to this issue. Factory resetting is not an option, and the fact that changing the color profile is even necessary is quite uhm, ridiculous.

I will have to see if I can transition him to Rojo for development.
End of Old Post

Changing the com.roblox.RobloxStudio.plist file fixed the issue for my brother. I can’t say thank you enough, as personally watching his horrendous experience for weeks was quite frustrating. I will be PMing the plist file soon.

Script editing is still something that can be improved, as we both still suffer from the occasional slow scrolling or slow typing (In my case, this can usually be fixed when it occurs time to time by restarting Studio). For those that still suffer, please try moving the .plist file and see if that helps you as much as it helped us.

Final Comment:
Thank you for the help in fixing my brother’s Studio application! In the last few months as well, several issues have been fixed/improved as my mouse no longer frequently freezes while testing in studio and I do not have as bad of typing lag as before. Do note however that these issues still occur for my brother and I, and are still issues for others.

1 Like

You’ll pretty quickly get used to the design changes. I disliked the design at first, but I quickly got used to it and now I like it.

Do you have any factual statistics to prove that it actually was twenty times better than the 2019 MacBook Pro?

At least it makes the colors look better? Uh, ahem… :sweat:

Yeah, it’s inexcusable…

Here is another solution that might work for you.

You could also take a look at this list.

1 Like

I’ve had many problems with Roblox Studio on Macintosh along with my Roblox Client. Maybe I just have an old mac but I don’t know.

2 Likes

I follow that list in general already, but I will look into making an alternate account for studio.

I will edit that performance line, but in my past observations I was able to type in the editor in less than a second while text took around 20 seconds to appear on my brother’s computer, he had about a 20 second delay with selecting in the explorer compared to my not-visible delay, and the camera in studio was much, much slower than mine.

The plist (now a .txt) file is taking quite a while to upload, but once it does I’ll send in my PM.

Thanks for the reply!

(As for the design, I will be updating soon once I have the time.)

1 Like

How old is your Mac?

Okay, great to hear! :grinning:

1 Like

Popping the script editor out worked for me too!! Thanks!

Good thing I have two monitors!!

1 Like

Is there a better solution for most of us out there who only have one monitor?

1 Like

Extremely frustrating for me on this one. Everything on my MacBook Pro loads quick besides Studio. My user interface workflow has really been effected due to this. When opening Roblox Studio, it takes minutes to load. When you want to edit a game, it takes multiple minutes to load. Copy and pasting UI properties and elements takes a few seconds to paste (it freezes), and when I go into Play mode in Studio, it takes a few minutes to load as well, this includes exiting the Play mode.

My Mac Specs:
https://gyazo.com/7945f1aa3498748e3808509ffe952a73

1 Like

Those things also happen to me. Now I have to publish the game and play it from the website just to test a game and inserting, moving, or removing a ScreenGui will freeze my screen for a while, even longer when in Team Create. There’s also this weird thing where if I open a prompt like game settings, it brings itself over any other application while frozen, blocking my screen. And when I open studio to a update prompt, when I click “Retry” it just keeps coming back, then I’ll have to drag it to the side of my screen where it doesn’t interfere with anything.

Yeah, same. Extremely frustrating, I have to test my ER:LC UI by publishing the game now. I tried to Studio Play with my Mad City UI and that took more than 5 minutes to load. Legit one UI with a baseplate. No scripts at all. Hopefully it gets fixed soon, it has really hindered my progress.

:sneezing_face:

1 Like

Progress seems to be slow. We can only sit here and wait. We should just hope that it gets fixed at some point. :pray:

2 Likes

Update on a fix:

My friend @NewVoids has helped me fix this so I’ll explain, pretty much there is a corrupt studio setting, so when you remove all your preferences, next time you open studio, it’ll fix the preferences and fix your corrupt files.

If you uninstall, its just going to save your preferences so uninstalling wouldn’t do any good.

open terminal
type cd ~/Library/Preferences
then rm -rf com.roblox*
with roblox studio closed

18 Likes

YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER! Thanks, I’ve been waiting for a long time for a solution. I’ll just hope that it doesn’t go laggy again and that other people find this solution, though I’ve never thought it’d be something solved with the terminal. I did also have some suspicion that it was because of file corruptions so I tried cleaning my autosaves and plugins but that didn’t work.

2 Likes

You’re an absolute genius! Thanks so much! Roblox just needs to fix the issue themselves now.

1 Like

idk, I guess you’d have to move your windows around to make room for the script window while it still maintains independence of the main window. Truthfully though, I’ve only seen this on my iMac; I don’t have this problem on my MacPro.
I would suggest that it’s a GPU/Hardware issue, but Studio has worked fine on this iMac in the past. I suspect it has something to do with how the script window is sharing the same space as the game viewer window. Maybe the game viewer isn’t relinquishing control entirely of that area or is competing with it somehow? Who knows. Still a mystery, just updated studio today with the update and it still happens. Glad to have a solution, but would like it to not be an issue at all!

1 Like

I tried this method now for a second time. Unfortunately, the cursor still lags behind in the script window when the script window is a tab in the Main Window. Maybe we’re seeing a different issue, I guess.

1 Like

Why does the problem not occur in Windows then?

It could be due to a hardware difference.

1 Like

Roblox studio building and scripting is super hard for me but luckily i have a windows computer.

I think it may be because of data from studio??? idk maybe like to much data because if i make a new account it is great for 6 months then the data (probably) overfills and it gets laggy again. idk its just a theory.

1 Like