Studio taking up large amounts of CPU on Mac

So about a week ago (Assuming this post comes out on 13-14/2/2020), studio started taking up excessive amounts of CPU on my Mac, making it unusable in both the script editor and viewport, with huge ‘lag’ spikes every time I moved the camera, typed in the script editor or tried to select a part.

Here are my system specifications
Screenshot 2020-02-10 at 19.26.19

Here is an image of CPU usage when studio is active:

Keeping in mind before this time period it was using about 50%

While it could just be my Mac is just over 4 years old and is getting slow it seems unusual that studio suddenly is using excessive CPU.

3 Likes

Cannot reproduce on macOS Mojave (perhaps it’s because I’m on 4 cores)

I think you mean CPU* usage in your post. I don’t get massive lag spikes when I type in the script editor but when I spam something, the CPU usage goes up to about 70% which does seem concerning.

1 Like

When this happens, would it be possible for you to use ActivityMonitor to capture a sample of the RobloxStudio process (its in the gear menu; just select RobloxStudio row in the list of processes, and then use the menu to Sample Process). That will be highly informative of what exactly the process is up to (modulo sampling bias) when it happens. If you could attach/link to the measured sample, that would be greatly helpful in figuring out the root cause here.

3 Likes

Yea I was questioning why I was having huge lag spikes when I was using script editor.

After that, it ruined smoothly as I moved my camera off the script editor. This update has seriously frustrated me :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Sample of RobloxStudio.txt (339.8 KB)
This is the Sample Process when Script Editor seems to lag

1 Like

I found a solution by just fully resetting your macbook, but it only worked for me

1 Like

Got a new Mac to previously solve the issue, however occurring again

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 18.36.25

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 18.38.58

I think I discovered why this is happening, I think its because when you drag a window to another or onto studio. Like dragging toolbox to the left side or dividing them to sections

Hello Developers. Out of the blue my Roblox Studio has been making my computer go crazy.
Studio reaches CPU Up to 105…This has been happening for around a month now. I’m hoping this issue can be fixed quickly.

Computer specs (Not sure if this is outdated)
Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 11.19.12 PM

Here’s a picture of the CPU Roblox Studio reaches…
Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 11.07.09 PM

Hoping this can be solved.

Yeah bro. Update your computer, you’re five OS behind.

This happens to me, and it’s not even when I open script editor, it happens when I’m just building regularly, I just opened up a small project to check the cpu% and w h a t
Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 12.04.01 am
it generally fluctuates, goes up when I move/ change properties of an object, delete things, etc…
I just don’t think the mac was designed to handle this type of stuff
btw: I got an early 2015 MacBook air running on High Sierra :<

2 Likes

I believe that’s because of low clock speeds and low caches. Cores really don’t matter here unless you don’t have any programs running in the background. Roblox Studio uses only 1 core (correct me if I’m wrong) so having extra cores won’t make a difference unless you don’t have other apps running. Especially Macbook Airs with 1.8 GHz clock is… you shouldn’t prefer it these days.

It’s nothing to do with the Mac hardware itself, this is a roblox issue

2 Likes

Four years later, still having issues with this. I am getting high CPU usage.