Studio's in-editor error detector doesn't like my custom classes

Notice how it underlines “DefaultioTree” in blue because it’s not a type ROBLOX recognizes. But I’m using a custom :IsA() function for my custom Class hierarchy, so it shouldn’t care about this.

As far as I’m aware, it didn’t always do this.

It’s something new ROBLOX added to help with misidentifying classes.

There isn’t really a way to fix this except for removing the IsA warning, but I am sure there are cases where other warning types will produce warnings for correct code too. Solving this would require static type checking, which isn’t really feasible. The warning is mildly annoying but you can just ignore it.

2 Likes

@Defaultio

1 Like

lol I literally just last night also wrote some oopy objects with custom :IsA() functions and ran into the same thing. Just slightly annoying, but I was happy to ignore it.

1 Like

I think it would be better to allow developers to switch off different parts of error detection. At times I use setfenv or getfenv, or perhaps I override an existing method. Ideally it would be nice if we could turn off this case specific highlighting or ‘ignore’ it like in Word.

1 Like

You could also… you know… rename your method to :Is(“DefaultTreeHahaIdkWhatImTalkingAboutYourNameHereHax”) instead of :IsA(“DefaultTreeHahaI…”)

(or even lowercase your method? idk either way it solves the issue)

I’m resurrecting this thread since I’m having the same issue, It’s mildly infuriating because it adds to the global list in warnings as well.

Renaming the :IsA() to :Is() is fine but creates an inconsistency with Roblox objects and developer objects, we need to handle them differently and the point of using :IsA() is to create consistent code sets.

A nice in-line method to ignore or suppress the warning would be nice. Something like --ignore “W007”

I personally don’t like/want to have nuisance warnings that we cannot disable in-line.

1 Like