Studio's mobile emulator needs better gesture support

As a Roblox developer, it is extremely tedious to test your games on touchscreen devices. The current emulator is lacking in fundamental gesture implementations such as pinch, pan, gyroscope alternatives, et cetera.

This makes testing more in-depth features such as zoom and rotating extremely slow, as you need to publish your game to the cloud, whip out your phone and attempt to read the Developer Console for errors (did I mention this is extremely difficult on smaller screens?).

It would be a real pleasure if Studio had these features built into its emulator. Perhaps something similar to iOS’s accessibility features where you can set certain buttons to perform certain actions.

It could be a keybind, for example you could press CTRL+P to have a draggable pinch gesture pop up. You can then drag one of the ends to simulate a pinch, pull or rotation.

If Roblox is able to implement a solution for this issue, it would definitely make developing for mobile more enjoyable and streamlined. I’m currently working on a camera control module, but I’ve hit a roadblock porting to mobile since I can’t use any gestures from Studio.

To my own dismay, I don’t own a touchscreen device with a big enough screen to read the Dev Console properly, meaning I would benefit greatly from a change like this.

Thanks for reading this! :slightly_smiling_face:

25 Likes

Going to bump this.

Testing gestures effectively on mobile is extremely tedious because you need a second, touch-enabled device to test features like touch rotate and touch pinch effectively, as well as needing to publish your game which clogs up the version history. This is also a huge hindrance to accessibility. As you mentioned in your original post, if the dev’s mobile device is too small, it could be difficult to read the output. What if the dev doesn’t have a touch-enabled device to test mobile compatibility?

There’s also the option to use a third-party software if the dev doesn’t have any means to test on mobile, however as a dev I shouldn’t need to rely on any third-party software to test features that should exist already.

The fact that the vast majority of players are on mobile and that we don’t have proper means of play-testing gestures effectively is nonsensical to me. We need gesture support in the device emulator!

2 Likes