StudioService does not fire PropertyChangedSignal for ActiveScript when switching back to viewport

When switching between open scripts in Studio, the property changed signal for ActiveScript under StudioService does not fire when it is changed to nil, i.e. when you tab back into the viewport.

You can reproduce this by running this code in the command bar and switching between open script tabs and the viewport. You will notice that nothing gets printed when you switch back to the viewport, not even if you explicitly close the currently open script.

The expected behavior is that this fires when this property is changed to nil.

game.StudioService:GetPropertyChangedSignal("ActiveScript"):Connect(function() 
    print(game.StudioService.ActiveScript)
end)

A side effect of this issue is my Color3 previewer plugin no longer automatically closing when you return to the viewport or close a script.

12 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed this internally and we’ll follow up here when we have an update for you.

2 Likes

This bug is preventing my plugins from functioning as intended and is very frustrating.
It has been 3 months with no update, can this please be bumped in priority?

5 Likes

This is still breaking important UX features built into my plugin. There is currently no good way to work around this short of polling.

4 Likes

Just came across this roadblock just a few minutes ago. Had to switch to a polling alternative, unfortunately. I hope this is dealt with soon.

2 Likes

Hello?? This is still broken, and my plugin is still broken. Why do I have to patch bugs in my plugin caused by Roblox breaking their own API?

It is incredibly frustrating that little things with plugin API are constantly completely ignored for literal years, even if they are completely broken.

5 Likes

Hi! Just wanted to let you know that we are investigating this issue.

2 Likes

Fix just deployed! Again sorry for taking this long.

9 Likes

Thank you! I can confirm that everything is working correctly again. :slight_smile:

Presumably it wasn’t as simple as it sounded if it took this long, no worries. The concern was just because of plugin API constantly being a pain or having problems with no acknowledgement or updates; I was worried this would fall through the cracks forever.

4 Likes

Should this issue reoccur, please create a new topic for us to look into. Thanks!