StudsPerTile property does not increase a texture's StudsPerTile when using a Block Mesh

When Block Meshes are used on a part, the Texture properties StudsPerTileU and StudsPerTileV do not apply their visual changes.

The bug happens every time a Block Mesh is inserted into a Part with textures in it. It occurs in the most current stable release of ROBLOX Studio.

Here’s a short gif detailing how the texture should appear (MANY leaves showing) as opposed to what happens when a Block Mesh is inserted (One leaf showing) due to the StudsPerTile properties not relaying their modifications.

This happens no matter what Scale I apply to the Block Mesh.

Although it likely doesn’t matter, my potentially relevant system specs are:

• Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
  • Intel i5-8600k
  • 16 GB 2133 mhz RAM

I first experienced this bug at the time of writing this, as it’s the first time I’ve applied a texture to a part with a Block Mesh inside of it.

I’m not sure if this is intentional behavior or not, but I cannot apply textures to infinitesimally thin planes using Block Meshes due to this.

It’s worth also noting that SpecialMeshes set to the “Brick” meshType behave correctly, whereas this does not.

Noticed the same thing with a cylinder mesh on a block. StudsPerTile and OffsetStuds did nothing. Unioning the mesh + block with something else sorted it out… but then it’s just a union, not a mesh so you’d expect it to work.

Edit: Works on a meshpart so I guess it’s just a limitation of blockmesh?

Blockmesh and Cylindermesh are deprecated, you should be using specialmeshes instead.

1 Like

I was getting that vibe, but the doco for block mesh doesn’t seem to say that at all that I can see.

All of this is how Roblox used to work in 2009 and we carefully preserved this behavior for the last 10 years. You’re welcome.

(please don’t use special shapes if you can avoid it)

5 Likes

Instead of a BlockMesh, try a SpecialMesh set to MeshType Block

BlockMesh technically isn’t deprecated but it inherits from https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/api-reference/class/BevelMesh which is deprecated. SpecialMeshes set to brick behave identically so you should use them instead.