Stylised UI Attempt

Hi! Recently I’ve been trying out designing an appealing & stylised UI (despite not being the best at programming in LUA (or programming in general)) and I’m looking for constructive criticism :).
All elements in it were drawn by me (with heavy inspiration for the image icons from a variety of UI elements I’ve seen whilst playing games)

Is there any standout changes that you would make to have this appeal better to the player?

—Other elements inside of the Shop, Inventory & Settings havent been added yet as I’ve just finished the opening of the overall UI elements!

Thanks in advance! --Remnants :).

4 Likes

Hello there! i loved the way it turned out just few things i think could be improved

Firstly the colors i dont think they really match up together

like here

And to add a little thing i think the animations could be a little faster

Good job!

I think it looks great! I would just add an animation similar to the opening one but to the closing as well!

Thanks! Are there any two colours you would recommend for the shop and inventory section? I’d love to keep the blue for the shop or inventory to match the button but I’ll be happy to step back from that and see what other colour combinations work!

Perhaps a blue and yellow?

Whenever i want to discover new color combinations i take a look at here

https://color.adobe.com/trends

I would say that borders around icons should be darker version of the icon color, while text borders should be a bit transparent. Other than that its great!

1 Like

I was thinking of adding that (and admittedly tried!) but it appeared there was an over-running issue where the UI would freak and sometimes not open correctly due to the possibility that it could still be closed whilst running the animation. I’ll try to give it another shot tho!

Thanks! I’ll see how that looks :)!

Awesome, thanks! I’ll take a look and see how these impact the overall look of the UI :D.

1 Like

Those look really nice

What do you call the arrow thing that hides the GUIs, I want that in my game

10/10

Thanks! I’m glad you like then :). I’m not too sure on what they’re called really! Maybe a minimising UI?

1 Like

the tween speeds could be quicker, which would make it feel snappier :slight_smile:

Had quite alot of people saying that so its definitely something I’m going to change to be quicker! thanks for the feedback :).

From the video, the GUI seems to just snap instead of transition out. Also, the text is not very visibly readable from the menu. It also doesn’t consist of one theme, rather multiple themes.

Instead, I would add a draggable window, consisting of tabs. But that’s just me. For younger players, this looks good (but I would add a swipe gesture for users on tablets).

The transitions are rather slow, and users might become impatient. The buttons also look too cartoonish, and that might just be me, but I don’t like cartoonish games. They look and feel bad and too simple, like there’s no customizability.

This also makes it look like something pulled from adopt me, too cartoonish. The borders also don’t match from the pop-out menu and the main UI.

What I like is futuristic UI with gradients. But again, that’s my opinion. I think accessibility wise; the UI can have less transition delays and also text should be more readable.

I like the UICorners you added though. They look good.

Overall, this UI needs a bit more improvement for visual style. The cartoonish trend looks too washed out and saturated.

But remember, some of these are just my opinion.

Quite confused on what you mean by ‘snap instead of transition’ - is this the exit of the UI? if so I fully understand! but like I said on my reply to @CJ_Angel that I had tried but there was an over-writing issue the UI would have if the button was spammed, which make it freak out a bit.
–This UI was stylised as a cartoon theme (generally not my build style! I go for realism but I felt like trying something different – Cant really so realism UI either!)

With the text I’m not too sure what you mean, It seemed to me to be readable on the majority of devices (whilst using the emulator atleast), do you mind elaborating?

On another note, thanks for the feedback! Changed a few things such as the transitions as I’ve been told its too slow by multiple other people.

Exactly.

True, but everyone should expect little kids to do that, which means a debounce system can be added.

Sure! I mean that the text is on top of both the background of the pop-out UI and the button, which seems to decrease contrast.

No problem!

Overall it looks pretty basic, but it looks good if it’s your first attempt at makign something!

Even with a debounce it seemed to do that - by no means a programmer but I’m not sure if you can detect when a TweenPosition or TweenScale for UI has been complete, which made me use task.wait(num)

Ahh yeah that makes it more understandable! Asked 3 of my friends which they preferred (with or without the text UI) and they all seemed to like the one with the text so I went with that. Will look at improving the contrast tho!

Not my first attempt at UI but its definitely one of my most ‘complex’ attempts! I usually just stick to generic, non-tween opening menus that only have one button at most so It’s quite a drastic change for my style of UI :D!

1 Like

There is, but I forgot the API for it. So, I looked it up, and you can use Tween.Completed.