[Stylized] Speed modelling Axe (Handpainted + sculpted)

I was recently looking for something to model and I came across a youtube video by Grant Abbitt showing off an axe, I decided to use that reference and model the axe from scratch. Everything was first modelled low poly. I then used the inbuilt sculpting system within blender to do all the finer details (scratches + wood 3d texture + rope). Since this is being used simply as a means of showcasing, I was not required to re-mesh the high poly model into a low poly one. The last step was to create the stylized textures, which I did by importing everything into substance painter, painting, and re-importing into blender. Reference image below!

Tot tri count: 2.5M
Time spent: 5Hr

8 Likes

2.5M tris??? I don’t think Roblox would like that… :sweat_smile:

Anyways, it looks really good. But, as I said above, I don’t think it’s really optimised for a Roblox game (correct me if I’m wrong on this).

Keep up the good work! :+1:

1 Like

Oh yeah, that’s why I said it was only being used as a means of showcasing. I dont think roblox would like that either haha :slight_smile:

Dang, dude, I wish I could make stuff in blender this good. It looks incredible.

1 Like

Thank you! It’s all about practice, I’m sure you’ll get there in no time :slight_smile:

lol, it looks too much like a low poly axe for that O_O its honestly amazing but the red rope doesn’t look like a rope. the rope tying the axe to the thing also is in kind of a weird formation maybe? its hard to tell which side the axehead is on. the modelling is great, but the texturing, attention to detail, and whatnot is even more amazing.

Yeah haha, the reason for the high tri count is because in order to add those finer details like scratches and ropes etc in sculpt mode, you have to remesh the original model to smth with a very high poly count, that way you have fine and smooth details where poly’s are not visible. Thank you!

1 Like