Subpixel accuracy in UI widgets

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to . . .

scale and position ImageLabels accurately when the new position would result in fractional pixels. You might want to do this with glyphs of a custom font scaled arbitrarily small, for example, which you might want to do to support different screen resolutions.

It seems that Size and Position of a GUI object automatically drop the fractional portion, even when set in code, so an image label you might want to scale to 17.5 and then position at 22.5 so that the other edge would be flush at 40 requires some working around.

Hand-rolled animations of image labels would also be less jerky if we could place the images with subpixel accuracy and let the sampling in the graphics hardware do its work.

If Roblox is able to address your issue, how would it improve your game and/or your development experience? Please be as specific as possible.

I have some custom fonts in my project right now that would look correct on the screen at more scales and resolutions than they currently do. I’m going to look into workarounds (what if I tween halfway between pixels? Can I use the scale component to do what I need? Etc) but if subpixels were permitted I wouldn’t have to.

7 Likes

Same feature

1 Like