Subscriptions within experiences: Now available for users to purchase

Can’t wait for every gamepass to change into a subscription!!! So exciting!!!

3 Likes

Please stop adding layers of abstraction to our revenue streams

20 Likes

Anyone else feel like there trying to slightly force / manipulate us into using these new features. For example by giving is 15% extra for the next 4 months if we create them within a month?

9 Likes

I was initially pretty hyped for subscriptions because my expectation would’ve been akin to developer products but automatic renewal so it would be less legwork for developers to create recurring Robux purchases. The idea is there but the execution… ick for players, ick for developers. I’d feel gross basing my revenue off of someone’s forgetfulness or taking advantage of this carrot stick benefit of higher payouts if I rush to cram this revenue source into my experience before the holidays.

I will continue to stick to developer products and prepurchasing an allotted time period for benefits to be active for with amount stacking and limitations against the player from overcharging. Thanks.

8 Likes

You’d make more in the long run if the player retains the subscription… In ~2 months you’ll make what an upfront payment to an ExperiencePass(see what I did there hehe) would give you. Though, I highly doubt the player base would enjoy such things as there is a set norm for certain perks being purchased via ExperiencePass(hehe) and DevProduct… Only time will tell. :person_shrugging:

4 Likes

On the original announcement post, y’all said this:

Apologies if I missed it, but are there any additional updates/guides on how to do this? A big reason I’m holding off on using subscriptions is having a bifurcated gamepass + subscription system which both do the same thing.

2 Likes

Like many others have already explained, not being able to charge robux when it gets converted to it anyways (after a 30% fee…), and the fact it gives peanuts to developers in comparison is a joke. Also not a fan of the really weird corporatanese replies that don’t resolve anything. This is a no go for me :-1:

3 Likes

Yep - here’s a code snippet in the docs on how to replace Passes with a subscription. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Honestly I was excited for this feature. Except everything about it is disappointing.

• Why not allow robux? People are much more likely to want to pay for things on the platform with robux instead of real money. The feature using robux is what we all expected and wanted. I can kind of see why you’d use real money but it’s still disappointing.
  • The amount of countries not supported is disappointing. Hopefully they’ll be supported in the future.
  • Why do players between the age of 13 and (i assume) 18 need parental permission to save a credit card on my account? I can assure you a parent is not going to go through the hoops of creating a Roblox account, verifying their ID and then approving their child to save a credit card. Google allows 13-18 year olds to save credit cards to their account without parental approval so I don’t see why Roblox can’t.
  • Why can’t the description of subscriptions be changed? This is stupid. What if I add a new feature, or find a misspelling in the description? I either keep it out dated information or create a new subscription and hope all the old subscribers resubscribe to the new subscription.
5 Likes

I have mentioned this in a different post but the benefits of subscriptions really do feel like we’re being bribed into using this predatory system.
It’s all about money as always.

6 Likes

Casually reminding that this feature is a no-go when we have no Robux purchase options and no proper refund handling as well. We want to ban fraudulent players, not incentivize them.

2 Likes

Once again, completely useless until subscriptions are able to be purchased for Robux and the refund policy is modified so players can not refund after the subscription is over.

4 Likes

Just read through the new subscription terms, and this is super concerning… This isn’t legal advice

Why are you so against Robux and in-experience currency subscriptions that you decide to outlaw the ability for developers to do it themselves? At least, that is how it currently reads to me. I will not be activating any subscription (and therefore not accepting the terms of this particular agreement) until this can be re-worded to be less vague and less seemingly predatory.

17 Likes

I think you’re not supposed to notice that.

Seriously though… what the hell is the execution here? I can only assume the weirdness is due to local laws preventing it just being a robux purchase or something along those lines. But if that IS the case, just don’t make the feature. I don’t think there was a particularly large demand for subscriptions to be a feature in the first place.

Is there any benefit to this whatsoever compared to just coding a recurring developer product to act as a subscription? Seems like an easy way to cut your profits by over half for no obvious reason.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t lose any sleep over my share going directly to me instead of adding a robux fee on top of the other fees already, but I guess you would!

1 Like

Doesnt really incentivize us when the math just doesnt make it worth it compared to just doing a gamepass where the player pays in robux which is much more likely for the player to buy than this, curious in actual stats , where if there was a vip pass created each month compared to a vip subscription , it should be obvious which one would garner more robux to be converted, and the payout for the subscription is just straight up bad.

3 Likes

why not just log that information into a data store when the player joins a server, and then just take the information out of the cache when needed?

1 Like

What will happen if somebody locks UGC Accessories behind Subscriptions?

4 Likes

Yeah this stuff also concerns me.
I don’t want to get a subscription because of a cool hat I saw.

Imagine you see a cool hat or accessory that fits your avatar perfectly, only for subscriptions to be the only way to get it.
The more I think about it, the more I dislike the whole practice in general.

Subscriptions were meant for streaming and delivery services like music, movies, mobile data, monthly food at your front door and VIP, not for games and in-game goodies.

3 Likes

Sorry notice what?the fact that it’s sold in usd and paid in robux?

3 Likes