Sudden strange animation distortion

Pretty sure this could be some sort of bug, but I cant post in #bug-reports so its going here. Maybe the fix is super simple and I’m just missing it.

I have an animation that I made a few months ago and up until now it has worked perfectly. Just now (September 29th) it appears to distort the rotation of a few joints by about 15-30 degrees and plays incorrectly. I’ve managed to sort of “fix” it by over-correcting the animation but it’s really not the best solution. I’ve also tried recreating the animation from scratch, but it has the same issue. I’ll post a medal clip recorded by another player of it working correctly before this started happening and I can also show how it plays in the animation editor (which plays it correctly) and then how it plays in-game now.

Before:

Now:

In the animation editor:

Over-corrected version, which sort of remedies the problem but not really:

Main issue with this animation in particular seems to be that the elbows unnaturally bend inward now.

I also have made a small demo place that showcases the issue. In the workspace there is a Dummy that contains the original animation and the one I’ve modified to correct the rotation issue. Feel free to look through the keyframes. There is also a script and animation in StarterCharacterScripts that will play whatever animation upon pressing F. You will probably have to republish the animations under your own account to get them working properly.

animation.rbxl (53.7 KB)

I think this could be related to the recent beta updates for default animations or the new humanoid physics controller because this seems to have started happening after their announcement, but I’ve enabled and disabled them several times and the issue still persists. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

3 Likes

Definitely sure this is a bug with the current updates or something that I’m not aware of has changed. I used the Roblox Studio Mod Manager to install a older version of studio and now the animations are working correctly again on version 0.544.0.5440300. I’ll try other versions in between that and the latest build to see if I can pinpoint the exact update that caused this behavior.

EDIT: The exact version this behavior starts appearing is 0.546.0.5460522 (which according to the mod manager was pushed September 27th) which makes me think even more that it could’ve been caused by an update to the default animations or the new physics controller.

2 Likes

We have this problem aswell; animations were fine until a day or two ago.

This was a side-effect for a fix to address the exact opposite issue (elbows popping out on some animations) There was a fix already on the way to address this bug, so we’ve flipped the flag off in the meantime until that fix is released.

Please go ahead and check if the immediate issue has been resolved, sorry for the trouble.

4 Likes

No worries, it looks like its working now! Thanks for looking into it.

Hi, it looks like I am also still facing the same issue, an animation which used to work in older versions now have the characters elbows bending inwards. The thing about mine is that instead of having the elbows bent in all the time, it kind of bends in and corrects itself, then bending in again. Sort of like the animation is glitching out

Sorry, it looks like I found the solution to the problem. It turns out that it was one of the module scripts that I have in my game which caused it.

This issue is occurring for me once again and just began to after the most recent studio update, what can I do?