[SUGGESTION] Grant New Members Permission To Comment on Feature Requests

As a new member, We can not comment on feature requests and I think that makes no sense. New members should also be able to do that as they are with bug reports.

I think New Members should have that permission to add on to suggestions, ask question about them and more. Post approval is not for comments and therefor there is no alternative for us to post on Feature Requests.

9 Likes

Maybe I’m wrong, but I believe it has been used for comments before.

1 Like

I know that @nenen has used it before for comments. Maybe they have some insight?

I am not sure but I also think there should be no Post Approval for comments.

1 Like

For the record, this has been addressed and answered numerous times before, such as here:

@GoldyyDev We get comments occasionally, and they’re usually swiftly moved to the requested thread. Comments are perfectly valid to request for approval.

2 Likes

Unfortunately that’s partly flood check. While you might not fill a feature request thread with hundreds of “Support” style comments, other new members will. There are literally 10,000 new members, and the odds of a couple hundred of them will post meaningless replies to a feature request is quite high. You need only look at #public or bug report threads to see that’s the case. Engineers read through feature request threads and they’re looking for suggestions and use cases, which means that the sort of comments a lot of new members post aren’t helpful.

So, while I get where you’re coming from, I hope you also understand that it’s to save the engineers time and to help keep feature requests actually useful to engineers.

4 Likes

I personally don’t think this is needed for new members to have. Like @Dekkonot says, many threads that are open to new members have a lot of “support” comments. Take a look at the new features when they’re announced in #public. Many new members just flood the post with “I’m so thankful this was added”. Sure, this is fine, but we don’t want this in feature requests, where the comments should be building upon the feature. People commenting within feature request should be extremely experienced members of the community, who understand the impacts of their suggestions, and want to actually improve the platform as a whole. I don’t believe that many New Members meet those requirements.

If you believe that you have something valuable to add to the conversation, I’m sure the post approval process will work. Nothing is so urgent that it needs to be seen by everyone on the thread instantly.

Plus, if your comment gets approved, and people actually believe it helps further the discussion, it can increase your standing within the community, and help you on your journey to becoming a member of the forum.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve sent in replies through the Post Approval system. I don’t think it’s against the rules, (If it is I have no idea how I’ll continue the conversations I’ve been having!)

Also see these:

I think that especially with the new automatic process for promotion to Member, this isn’t really an issue, because New Members can directly access most parts of the forum.

I might be missing a couple, but New Members are only restricted from posting in:

Any category they can’t VIEW (obviously)
Public (reply-only for obvious reasons)
Release Notes
Surveys (reply-only for obvious reasons)
Community (reply-only for obvious reasons)
International (reply-only)
Development Resources (reply-only)
Development Discussion
Web Features
Web Bugs (reply-only)

Most of these are still able to be replied to, and while it might seem like a lot of restricted categories, it unlocks after automatic promotion to Member by the system.