Suggestions - How to Make a Living Doing RobloxDev?

Hello, my name is Quinn and I am primarily a builder on Roblox. I’m wanting to make a living wage with making all sorts of different creations. I’m not interested in working directly for Roblox. I typically do building commissions, but I definitely need a steady pay pace. I’m wanting to quit my job to do this. However, I’m unsure on how I should go on about making a living wage, since I don’t want to overcharge people for building comms. It seems that someone with my skillset is highly sought out. Here is my portfolio for you to reference.

Does anyone have any ideas? I’m very open-minded and would love to hear your suggestions – even if you don’t currently make a living doing Roblox dev stuff. Thank you!!

7 Likes

I disagree with the decision you’re making, but I’ll try respect it as much as I can while also giving you the harsh reality (so please take this with a grain of salt):

While Roblox is a great website where you can earn some mighty income, I personally cannot see it as a job where you can make wages. It has an unstable economy/community and is soon going to be declining due to the amount of unfocus they’re putting on limiteds. (Once they hand it off to community accessory creators of course.)

To me it sounds like you’re interested in wanting to become part of the game industry which is a great career path to partake! There’s many community colleges and just general courses that offer this support. I highly encourage you to take these sorts of opportunities since they are worth checking out. Judging by looking at your portfolio, Architecture or just general Design seems to be a good start for you!

Roblox is a platform where you can jumpstart your hobby/interest as a game designer. For the most part I’ve seen a lot of known developers invest their time into the platform as a hobby and not something else. It’s a great platform to invest your time on development, but I don’t think it’s a platform that’s worthwhile on turning into a job. (Unless you’re wanting to apply for Roblox.)

5 Likes

Whilst I admire the aspiration it is incredibly difficult to make a fulltime living from roblox development. For it to even become a remote possibility you would have to create a game that is very popular and is of similar size to meep city or jailbreak.
As of present the rough exchange rate of DevEx is about 100,000 R$ to 350 USD. By simple math you would need to be earning around 1000 - 2000 USD per month in order to pay your bills, rent and other living essentials. This equates to needing to earn over 300,000 R$ per month from your game which is a rather difficult task.
Personally my best suggestion would be to keep working on your development either choosing to create a game which could have potential or by accepting private commissions for builds which you can charge your own rate depending on the project. Realistically though it is unlikely that you will be able to earn over 1000 USD per month from this and therefore you would need to get a real life job to cover expenses.

That said however if you were to earn a decent amount from development it would mean that you wouldn’t have to work as many hours at another job or its just a nice bit of extra cash to spend as you please.

One final thought though is to have a look at larger development studios which are hiring builders and developers. A fair few of them are able to offer good salaries but require a high level of expertise. If you think you are up to the task of working for a large studio and could handle the pressure I say go for it and there’s nothing to loose by applying for the position.

I do apologise if this seems rather negative but I prefer to be honest. I do however wish you the best of luck if you choose to pursue roblox development as a permeant profession as there is always a chance it can work out in the end!

7 Likes