Suggestions to understanding coding?

So, I have tried for months and months on trying to understand scripting, but every single time I try, I will write notes, watch youtube videos, try and attempt to write codes by referring to the Roblox code wiki’s, but I always end up getting completely confused on how one is to remember and combine codes into one entirely new script.

If you have any ideas or suggestions that could help me in understanding or at least assisting me in being more experienced in coding, I would very much appreciate it.

2 Likes

I actually see this commonly in the form of addressing specific blocks of code with their own name such as “while true do loops.” There is nothing inherently wrong with this but sometimes someone who is learning might think of Programming as building with predefined lego blocks, rather than creating their own legos to build with.

What I mean is you are potentially thinking of blocks as code as their own thing rather than thinking of the code as the parts that make it up. Try to understand what is going on.

I think you should stray away from the “combining codes” scheme and to instead try to understand the concepts that you are learning. When you learn a new concept break it down to its core fundamentals. Then try teaching it to someone. If you can’t teach it to someone you don’t know the topic well enough and therefore you should continue learning the topic.

This is based off somewhat but not entirely off the Fenyman technique, The Feynman Technique Model — MATTYFORD

Here are some relevant resources:

2 Likes

I know this will sound cliche/sterotypical/500 times heard but:
practice and practice.

As you keep messing around with code and try to code things you’ve never coded, you’ll slowly begin learning from it and understand it. Although it may take long depending on certain things, you will begin understanding it afterwards.

As a challenge, try creating a small minigame where meteors fall from the sky, hint is Instance.new and loops. After you’re able to do that, try building upon it, add double jump for the funs of it, keep adding more and coding more things in slowly as you begin to learn.

Good luck and take it slow :+1:

1 Like

You need to learn broad concepts with concrete examples before you write your own lengthier code. One way to start learning would be by asking yourself these sorts of questions about the programming language:

1. What is computer code and how does it work?
  2. What are the primitive data types, keywords, and operators in the language I want to learn?
  3. What are functions and data structures in this language?
  4. How do I use what I learned from questions 1, 2, and 3 to help write a simple 1-5 line program that can do something simple like basic addition or printing output?
  5. What does my simple code from question 4 teach me? (e.g. Scope, polymorphism, value-binding, conditions, new syntax, etc.)

I find myself, even as a self-classified intermediate programmer, still learning things about computer code every day. Don’t be afraid to open a script and mess around for hours and only take away 1-2 things about a programming language. Lua and Python are definitely good starting languages for beginners because they are easy to read and lack a ton of complex syntax that might just confuse a beginner. Good luck—you got this! :octopus:

Just remember code is not like human-to-human language, it must inevitable speak to the computer, and that is why it’s hard to learn at first.

1 Like

Hey, it actually didn’t take me that long to learn, like a month id say, but what i did is i watched PeasPod’s tutorial, a Youtuber, the videos are from 2013, yet are still so helpful, Im alright as a scripter, thanks to him, and so are my 2 brothers, one of them now makes a living off of roblox developpement. The videos are very helpful and i really think you should try them out, and also you shouldn’t learn off of the roblox wiki, as it explains things very well, but not really how to, like, put it all together. But, if you forget something or don’t understand well how something works, i advise searching it up as thats what i do when Im unsure of how something works. Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

P.S, I also got quite a lot of help from my older brother as well, as he is a much better scripter than i am.

EDIT: Yes, i learned in roughly a month, but that doesn’t mean im a pro scripter, id say im a medium scripter. I am still capable of doing 80% of the stuff i need to myself, the other 20% is glitches that i find hard to comprehend or some difficult math i need to make something work.

1 Like