Sunsetting Legacy Data Persistence Systems

could this mean faster loading? if were getting a datasave upgrade id assume so. would be interesting to see where this goes.

RIP to everything that people made in the stamper tool building places. (If Welcome to Roblox Building’s closure didn’t already put the final nail in the coffin)
The removal is understandable though, data persistence was very quickly replaced with datastores. Funny how almost nobody here knows what DP is lol.

1 Like

I’m still waiting for that one guy to be like “My game solely runs on this service!”

1 Like

The first and last time I used Data Persistance was in 2014 when I was a begginer scripter! I can’t say I totally forgot about it because I remember its ability to save instances! Later I learned that you could nest tables and make your own instance saves…
I wonder if everyone at Roblox just forgot that this once existed for years and noticed now lol

Try this:

function getSaveableColor3(color)
	return {r = color.r, g = color.g, b = color.b}
end

function loadColorFromDataStore(t)
	return Color3.new(t.r, t.g, t.b)
end
1 Like

Check out Datastore2, I never had a single data loss since I started using it.

1 Like

Data loss is developer error, not something Roblox has to fix (it is perfectly possible to write loss-free datastore code), maybe have someone proficient proofread your datastore interaction code or use the #help-and-feedback:code-review category.

You don’t need a module as complicated as Datastore2 to do it.

5 Likes

This seems to be very sad. Will there be a replacement for this feature?

1 Like

There has been a replacement for half a decade. DataStores.

4 Likes

We have thought about migrating the API to DataStore under the hood. However, the different system design and data schema makes it super difficult to do. So we finally decided to just retire the system entirely.

3 Likes

has this been rolled out yet? because almost everygame i join cant load the assets. and i have a high ping. i tried to contact support but they were useless. i now assume this might have been rolled out and some games are using it now. if thats the case please revert it.

I doubt any games (other than old ones) still use Data Persistence. It may be an issue with something else as this is suppose to take effect on June 1st.

odd. either way it sucks. hopefully roblox will fix it.

Sometimes data loss happens when server crash or game shuts down…

Server crash maybe, but server crashes are very rare occurrences, and even then you can mitigate this by auto-saving. If your data frequently gets lost on game shutdown/crash, it is more likely than not a developer error where they aren’t auto-saving frequently enough or not saving properly on game leave.

1 Like

I fail to see how Data Persistence API is supposed to be more reliable than DataStoreService API in the rare case of server crash.

Actually I forgot about auto save, my game save only when players leave and I now can see where is the problem. Thanks for help.

1 Like

I understand that :SaveInstance() is an inefficient function (assuming here it saves the literal instance to the old DataStore as a file perhaps? idk) but would converting the properties in to a table that can be used to replicate an instance be a more efficient way of saving an instance? Sure, it wouldn’t work for a couple instance types (namely scripts/localscripts) but it would be efficient right? Assuming this isn’t the way it was initially done but do correct me if I’m wrong, I’d just love to see this feature as a whole. (do excuse me if this has been asked but I don’t have the time to read through all the replies right now)

I never Knew That this existed I think that :SaveInstance() is the only way To save an instance But you can actually save a Table with all the values

I have never knew there was some sort of save instance api! you cant do that in modern datastore bruh