Sunsetting Sets

tmw you’ve been doing 100% of your building with sets since 2012

4 Likes

Well this is irritating. Sets are a great way to organize huge amounts of assets that I use pretty regularly, I’d much rather this useful feature be brought up to current standards rather than removed entirely.

29 Likes

I used to use Sets until an update broke them sometime around 2013 - which was a bad move in my opinion.

Sad to see this leaving, but I suppose it’s a good thing since it’s now a dead feature.

2 Likes

Rest in peace, sets. I always wondered when they were going to remove sets considering no one ever used them.

Roadmap:

So does this mean Packages will be a replacement for Sets? If so. I’m gonna be super happy. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There is a temporary solution, as PeteyK473 posted above, you can just make a group and publish all assets there, and it’d work at least until Packages are out if you require the current Set system to build things.

Wouldn’t the upcoming packages feature allow for a similar functionality?

The functionality is that you don’t have to open the trello board and click on every link to get the model. With sets, you can go on the toolbox and just select the set you want and all of the model in the set will show.

I don’t think packages are intended to replace sets. Packages will just be models which you can update without having to re-import, I believe.

1 Like

Its “soft” killing is to blame for the low hits in analytics, being a practical example how you could no longer interact with them at all using the website (no links, no buttons, nothing - correct me if I am wrong). It didn’t get hits in the analytics because nobody knew they even existed to begin with.

It is weird why cutting reasonably working features has become the norm here once they go ““outdated””. I understand the security reasons behind them, but it is comparable to demolishing a stable building just because it looks “old” instead of reforming it and giving it new strengths and looks.

Why not give it a facelift, improve their functionality and announce that they exist instead? There is already existing code that can be improved and resources which can be reviewed.

If the platform ever needs the feature again after it is removed, money, time and assets will have to be spent all over again writing the exact same thing the platform had years ago from scratch.

(Groups page is waiting for a facelift too…)

15 Likes

No, the button to create and add stuff to settings disappearing one day and engineers just not adding it back is to blame for the low hits in analytics. I’m wondering if they knew that you legitimately could not do anything with sets for years?

13 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.